74: Hey, Kiddo

Salt And The Sea - The Lumineers

❝From the destruction, out of the flame

You need a villain, give me a name❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
HEY, KIDDO
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

TWO DAYS LATER

"It's been less than 48 hours since a 7.4 magnitude earthquake rocked the quaint town of Hawkins, 80 miles outside of Indianapolis, in an event that seismologists are calling 'a natural disaster of near-unprecedented scale.' The death toll now stands at 22, but with hundreds more filling Roane County hospitals and many more still missing, officials expect those numbers to rise. This is only the latest tragedy to befall this once-safe town. Most recently, a string of high school students were killed in a series of ritualistic murders, which have been linked to a local satanic cult known as 'Hellfire'. Eddie Munson, the leader of this cult and prime suspect in the murders, has been missing since the earthquake and is presumed dead. But this offers little comfort to the people of Hawkins, who are scared, angry, and searching for answers. Why their town? What have they done to deserve so much suffering? A growing chorus believes the two recent tragedies are linked, claiming the Munson murders opened a doorway between worlds. A doorway, they say, into hell itself."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Gwen stands next to Dustin, Steve, and Robin as they load cardboard boxes into Steve's trunk. After the gates opened across Hawkins, homes were destroyed along with the workplaces of many adults, causing a lot of families to seek shelter at the high school.

Dustin and Gwen had already loaded their own stuff into boxes to donate and now they're at Nancy's for her to do the same.

It's been a tough two days, especially for Dustin who's been sleeping on Gwen's bedroom floor. Eddie's death had taken a huge toll on the boy, no matter how much he tries to put on a brave face. Eddie had sent Dustin through the gate so he could lead the bats away and keep him safe. Gwen couldn't be more thankful for him. He died a hero.

"You alright?" Gwen asks Steve, gently placing a hand on his arm after he puts the final box in the trunk. He's been quiet today, but so has everyone.

"Yeah," he answers truthfully. "Are you?"

Gwen gives him a small smile and nods. "I think so."

"Someone order a pizza?" Mrs. Wheeler asks, walking outside with Nancy.

"Pizza?" Dustin repeats.