70: Scary Times

Travelin' Man - Ricky Nelson

❝I remember the night

When we walked in the sands of the Waikiki

And I held you oh so tight❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
SCARY TIMES
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

"How does it drive?" Gwen asks, holding a hand over Steve's which rests on her thigh. They've been on the road for a bit now, and Gwen has to admit that driving through the forest has calmed her down a lot.

"Not half bad. Considering that this is a... house," Steve answers. Gwen lightly laughs and squeezes his hand that has a piece of Hopper's flannel wrapped around the wrist. After getting properly patched up, he wanted to keep a piece of the flannel since he knows how much it means to Gwen. Steve glances at Gwen a few times with a nervous smile, remembering Eddie's words from the other day. "Yeah, it's... it's silly, but I... I've actually, um... I always had this dream that we'd have this really... really big family. I'm talking, like, uh, a full brood of Harringtons. Like, five, six kids."

"Six?" Gwen asks with wide eyes and an amused smile.

"Yeah, six little nuggets. Three girls, three boys. And... and every summer, I figured all of us Harringtons, we would pack into something like this and... just see the country. You know, the Rockies, Grand Canyon, maybe Yellowstone."

Gwen smiles a lopsided smile as her heart flutters in her chest. "You know, I've never seen the ocean."

"Then we'll go to the ocean," Steve smiles. "End up in some beachside town in California. Spend a week parked in the sand. Learn how to surf or something."

"That sounds really nice."

"Yeah?" he asks seriously.

"Yeah," Gwen responds earnestly. "Well, except for the six-kid part. Who knows what I'll feel in the future, but right now, I cannot imagine pushing six watermelons out of me. That sounds like a nightmare."

"Yeah, but the aftermath, I mean..." Steve glances behind him at everyone else in the RV. "If only we had some practice."

Gwen nods. "Fair. That's fair," she chuckles. Steve nods and looks forward again but Gwen keeps her eyes on him. "I didn't know you wanted kids."

"Are you kidding me?" Steve laughs. "Of course I want kids with you."

Gwen softly scoffs with a smile and looks forward with a nod, trying to calm down her blushing face. "Cool."