69: Strengths and Weaknesses

Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles

❝Waits at the window

Wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door

Who is it for?❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
STRENGTHS
AND WEAKNESSES
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

"All of the sudden I was in my nightmare," Gwen tells the group as they sit around her in Max's trailer. She fiddles with the stray threads of a thin blanket that Max had given her and her voice stays low and quiet and her mind stays cloudy, still reeling from the trauma of what happened the night before.

She hasn't slept. How could she? Every time she closed her eyes, she saw the lifeless bodies of Steve and Dustin. Nothing will beat the feeling of having to leave them in that car, knowing that there was nothing she could do. She never wants to experience that again.

While talking, Gwen attempts to focus on Dustin's hand on her back. She hasn't left his side since leaving the Upside Down, not that Dustin wanted to be away from her either. So here he sits with his hand rubbing Gwen's back soothingly, acting as a lifeline while she recounts what she saw. "I was in Steve's car, and Dustin and Steve were there... And they were..." She shakes her head, ignoring the anxious gazes of the boys. "...and then the car started filling up with blood... so I broke my way out."

Gwen rubs her right palm, remembering cutting it on the car's glass, but all that's left behind is the scar from when Nancy, Jonathan, and her fought the Demogorgon a few years ago.

"Then I was in the Creel's house," she continues. "Vecna... he's Henry Creel, Victor Creel's son... He was One at the lab, the first kid with powers. I remember him. He told me that I have potential... He almost sounded... disappointed," she shakes her head, ver voice in disbelief. "But then, he showed me things that haven't happened yet. The most awful things... I saw a dark cloud spreading over Hawkins. Downtown on fire. Dead soldiers. And this... this giant creature with... a gaping mouth. And this creature wasn't alone. There were so many monsters. An army. And they were coming into Hawkins. Into our neighborhoods. Our homes. And then... he showed me my mom, and Dustin, and Steve, and Eleven... and Hopper. And they... they were all..." Gwen trails off, looking down with watering eyes while trying to get the images out of her head. She still doesn't understand why Hopper was one of the bodies she had seen. He's dead. He's been dead for months.

"Okay, but... he's just trying to scare you, Gwen," Steve speaks up to reassure not only her, but himself. "Right? I mean... I mean, it's not real."