Chapter 33

Just as they were about to drive away, Harry's phone rang. He looked at the caller ID and saw that it was Zayn. He handed the phone to Marian.

"Hello?" She said putting it on speaker.

"Marian, it's Zayn," he said in a very worried voice. "Do you know where Kaia is?"

Marian glanced at Harry. "Zayn, hon, she's at our apartment. What's going on?"

Zayn ran his hand through his hair. He breathed a small sigh of relief. "When I came back from the store, she was gone. No note. No text. Nothing."

Marian could hear the fear in his voice. "Listen to me, she'll be okay. I promise."

"Have you talked to her lately?" he asked.

"Just a little bit ago. She said that your mom and sisters have been texting her."

"Yeah, they have and she's been so distant since that started a few days ago." he sighed heavily. "Marian I can't lose her."

Harry reached over and took a hold of Marian's hand. He could see the anxiety in her face.

"You won't lose her Zayn," Marian said. "You have to trust me."

"Zayn, do you want me to come over after I drop Marian off at the apartment?" Harry asked.

"Haz, your mum is here. You should spend some time with her," he said.

Harry shook his head. "She'll understand."

"Okay," Zayn said quietly.

Marian glanced at Harry again. "Zayn, I promise, you aren't going to lose her. She loves you."

"I love her more than life."

Marian smiled sadly. She knew he did and she knew that Kaia loved Zayn. "When is your family coming?" she asked. She needed to know what kind of a time line she had to work with.

"Mum and the girls are going to be here in two days."

"Okay," Marian said. "I will text you soon."

"Marian, thank you. Kaia is very lucky to have you," he said quietly.

Marian could almost imagine the pain he was in of having Kaia taking off. She had done it to her adoptive parents a time or two when she got scared when she found out her real parents were in town. She would freak out and just disappear.

"She's lucky to have you," she said. "I'll be in touch soon." She clicked off and looked at Harry as he drove through traffic to get her to her best friend.

He pulled her hand up to his lips. "We're all lucky to have you," he said and smiled at her.

Marian sighed heavily as she sat back in her seat a bit and held onto Harry's hand.

Zayn looked at his phone and sent Kaia another text.

Love, please come back to me. I need you and I love you. Please don't hide yourself away from me. Let me help you. In whatever way I can. Don't forget you are my heart. I love you.

He leaned back in the chair he was sitting in and watched the ocean waves. He knew she was scared about meeting his family. She was scared about a lot of things, but he had hoped they were making some breakthrough at least with each other and it seemed that way. He knew his mum and sisters could come across a bit strong, but the conversations he'd had with his mum, he knew that she already liked Kaia and once they spent some time together, he knew that relationship would grow stronger. He closed his eyes and waited for Harry to get there.