Chapter 35

Zayn wished he could crawl inside of Kaia's head. He wished he knew how to help her. He thought that they had made a giant leap in the past two days. He didn't know what had set her off.

He went back into the house. He couldn't follow her as he had no idea where she had taken off to and he couldn't leave as his family would be there any moment.

Zayn pulled out his phone and called Marian. He hated having to call her again, but he figured she was the only one, again, who could help in this situation. And he didn't know what else to do.

"Hello?"

"Marian, it's Zayn."

Marian sat up in bed. Harry was snoring beside her. "What's wrong?"

"I'm so sorry to bother you, but it's Kaia. Again. She just left. No explanations. Nothing." He said totally stressing out and on the verge of tears.

"What happened?" Marian asked as she herself began to panic.

"I'm not sure," he said. "We had a great day yesterday. She even talked to my mum on the phone and for quite a while, she was smiling when they were talking and even after they hung up. And then this morning....."

"Then this morning what Zayn?" Marian asked.

"When I got up, I heard her on the phone. I don't know who she was talking to but she was very angry."

"Like angry how?"

"Marian I don't know!" Zayn snapped. "I'm sorry Marian. I don't mean to take my anger out on you."

"It's okay Zayn." Marian said quietly. "I...I have to tell you something."

"Marian, what is it?" he asked. He felt like his world was turning upside down again.

Marian let out a heavy sigh. She felt Harry moving to her side. "I'm going to take a shot in the dark but I'd be willing to bet her real mom called her."

"Her real mom?" Zayn practically yelled. "How in the hell did she get her number?"

Harry wanted to know what was going on but he sat quietly.

Marian felt her eyes well up with tears. "I don't know. Every couple of months she will get a phone call from them. Mainly Laura. Kaia always changes her number but she hasn't heard from her in almost a year."

Zayn closed his eyes and tried to think for a few moments. "Why does she always run?" He asked. "Especially now. She doesn't have to face them alone anymore."

"I know and I'm sorry," Marian said as she wiped her tears away. Why couldn't they just leave Kaia alone? For once in her life she was happy.

"Where does she go?" He asked quietly. His head snapped up when the doorbell rang. "Damnit!" He swore.

"Zayn, what is it?" Marian asked.

"I think my mum is here," he said getting up and heading towards the door. "Listen, if you hear from her, please call me!" He pleaded.

"Of course! You know I will!" Marian said as she looked at her phone. She lay back on the bed and closed her eyes.

"Love?" Harry said. "What is it? What's going on?"

"I think Kaia's real mom called."

"I thought she didn't have any contact with them."

"Yeah, well, she doesn't, but they still try," she said with a heavy sigh. "And now Kaia took off again and Zayn's mom just got to the house." She turned to look at Harry. "I don't know what to do anymore. I thought she was finally happy. Ready to move on with her life and not have to deal with their bullshit anymore and now this has to happen!" She said and couldn't stop the tears that fell from her eyes.