Where do I begin

~ SEVERAL DAYS LATER ~ EARLY DECEMBER ~

Mary is no longer in intensive care. She has been moved to a regular single room.

She is still in a medicated coma and breathing with the help of a ventilator, but she no longer needs to be strictly sterilized and can have visitors

Every morning, Isabella and Simon spend several hours at the hospital helping Jace care for Mary. At lunchtime, George eats lunch with Jace and keeps him company. And at night, Alexander updates Jace on company matters and Matt keeps him on his toes with his clownish antics. But besides family, the couple has other visitors. Homer. Jennifer. Even Clary, Jace's secretary.

Also, all the hospital staff, whatever their specialty, come every day to check on the health of the girl who took a bullet to save the boy she loves, and the relatives of the other patients come to support and commiserate with the boy who never leaves the girl he loves alone. And then there's this old man that Jace spends a lot of time with.

 And then there's this old man that Jace spends a lot of time with

His name is Paul and he's ninety-six years old. His wife Anna is in the next room. She's ninety-five years old and in a coma due to brain cancer. Anna is on life support, but Paul refuses to unplug. Every morning, Jace buys two coffees and drinks them with his friend Paul.

Paul: How long have you two been together?

Jace: A little over a week before the... Incident.

Paul: When did you notice?

Jace: What?

Paul: That she was the one.

Jace: From the first moment I saw her eyes. You?

Paul: Pretty much the same. I met Anna at a dance in 1924. I was twenty-five years old and she was twenty-four. She was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. I asked her to dance and when the waltz was over, I knew without a doubt that I loved her.

Jace: Oh! You're fast!

Paul: You can't imagine. The next day I visited her at home and asked her father for her hand in marriage. A week later we were married in a simple ceremony and we've never been apart since.