White Pearls

~ 7 MONTHS LATER ~

~ LATE SEPTEMBER 1997 ~

A lot happened during those months, and fortunately all was well. The most important facts were three.

First, even before Alexander and Matt returned from their honeymoon - where they had a great time - Jace, with the help of the lawyers, managed to get a restraining order against Matt's family. Neither of them has the right to come within 150 yards of Matt anymore. Matt was very pleased about this.

Second, Katerina is already three months pregnant. Who's Katerina? The woman who'll will bring to Alexander and Matt's baby.

A few days after their return, they visited the surrogacy agency and after many interviews with applicants, they decided on Katerina. Mary and Alexander made the necessary donations - egg and sperm - and then the doctor made sure that the miracle happened.

The days after IVF were an ordeal for everyone and especially for Matt and Alexander, but when Katerina took the pregnancy test and the two lines appeared on it, the party started. Alexander and Matt were jumping around like crazy, screaming and laughing.

At the first ultrasound, when they heard the baby's heartbeat, they cried like children. Katerina has already moved into their house and has started to settle into the family routine. But we'll tell more about Katerina later.

And third, Mary is no longer famous just because she's Jace's wife. She's also a very successful painter.

A few days ago, on Jace's and Stefan's birthday, she opened her first exhibition, which was a huge, huge success. Almost all of her paintings sold for pretty high prices. Of course, the proceeds went to charity. Isabella took care of that.

I said earlier that almost all of her paintings were sold because one of them - the centerpiece of the exhibition - remained unsold. Although she received many offers, she refused it because she didn't want to part with it. When the reporters asked her why, she said that this painting is Stefan's inheritance. She painted it just for him.

Let's see what it's all about ...

The painting is titled "In Dada's Arms" and features - who else? - Jace and Stefan. Jace is sleeping and Stefan is lying on his chest, touching his cheek to his bare skin, enjoying the comfort and security of Dada's strong arms even as he sleeps. The expression on his beautiful baby face says it all.

Mary remembers that a few minutes later, after she took the picture, Stefan closed his eyes and followed his father into dreamland

Mary remembers that a few minutes later, after she took the picture, Stefan closed his eyes and followed his father into dreamland. She remained there, motionless, staring at her two beloved creatures all over the world. The beautiful baby she created and the man who helped her create it. Her husband and her son.

But the exhibition didn't just bring Mary success and publicity. It also brought her an admirer. A very annoying admirer. The owner of the gallery where the exhibition was held was after Mary from the very beginning. Of course, Mary isn't a beginner and knows very well how to get rid of such men, so she didn't tell anyone about him. Not even Matt. Not even when his flirting became more persistent. She thought now that the show was over, he'd stop and she'd never see him again. And so it was, until one morning ...