True Love's Kiss

~ A WEEK LATER ~ NEW YEAR's EVE ~

~ MARY's ROOM ~

Mary is in the same condition and Jace is on the verge of collapse. The others have dropped everything all these days and stand by his side to comfort him as long as they can. So does the doctor.

Jace: I can't do this anymore! I can't stand to see her like this.

Matt: Don't give up yet. All isn't lost yet!

Jace: I failed, Matt. For a whole week I've been trying to bring her back, but nothing. I don't know what to do anymore.

Alexander: It can't be! It's to be something else. It can't end like this.

Surgeon: Jace, I'm sorry to say this, but maybe you should think about putting her in a facility for situations like this.

Jace: WHAT? YOU'RE TELLING ME TO THROW HER AWAY IN A FUCKING LOONEY BIN LIKE A ROTTEN VEGETABLE?

Surgeon: First of all, calm down! And second, I didn't say anything about an insane asylum. I'm talking about a medical facility that specializes in patients in chronic comas. Mary doesn't need to stay in the hospital any longer and you need to start living again.

Jace: For me, there's no life without Mary.

George: Don't say that. Mary wouldn't want that for you.

Jace: Don't talk about her like she's dead! SHE'S NOT DEAD. YOU HEAR ME? SHE IS NOT DEAD!

Simon: Yes, Jace. Of course, she's not dead. George didn't mean...

Jace gets up and walks to the window. He pulls the curtain and looks out at the snow that's been covering everything outside for the past few days like a fluffy, immaculate, all-white feather blanket.

 He pulls the curtain and looks out at the snow that's been covering everything outside for the past few days like a fluffy, immaculate, all-white feather blanket

Jace: Listen to me very carefully. I'm only going to say it once and no one will mention it again. I won't abandon her. As long as her heart beats, I'll fight to bring her back. That's why I'm taking her home, because she doesn't need to stay in the hospital any longer. I'll set up a room for her with all the necessary equipment and take care of her until she wakes up. Do we understand each other?

But before the other could say anything...

Nurse: Doctor, we have a problem!

The nurse who was taking care of Mary while the others were talking is standing in front of the monitor, looking very concerned at the screen.

Jace: OH, NO!

Surgeon: What's wrong, nurse?

Nurse: Her temperature is rising way too fast. I took it three minutes ago and it was 98.6 oF, but now it's 102.92 oF and rising.