Great News

Jace's Attorney: Thank you very much, your honor. But before we go any further with that, I'd like Ms. Firewood to tell us how exactly Mr. Harronate accepted the engagement.

Mariza: What do you mean, exactly how he accepted it?

Jace's Attorney: I mean, what lie did you use to convince him to accept an engagement to a woman he hates.

Mariza: I told him Lisa was sick, but that wasn't a lie. She was really sick.

Jace's Attorney: Really? And what kind of illness was she suffering from that she never went to the hospital? Not even once?

Mariza: Eeeeeh ... I- I don't remember exactly. I mean, it was something with her blood.

Mariza blurs her words and the lawyer smiles.

Jace's Attorney: It's all right, Mrs. Firewood. Everyone understood what kind of illness you meant, including the members of the jury, of course. Now let's go back to the events of that night, the night of the shooting. You said that the defendant didn't mean to kill Mr. Harronate.

Mariza: Yes.

The lawyer looks at Mary and she nods at him.

Jace's Attorney: Tell me, the words "I'm sorry, Mary, but he'll never be mine and I've already told you. IF I CAN'T HAVE HIM, NO ONE CAN. He has to die. GOODBYE, JACE!" sound familiar?

Mariza: No.

Jace's Attorney: That's really strange, because those are the exact words that came out of the defendant's mouth just before she pulled the trigger in cold blood, and there are several witnesses who can confirm that. Tell me, are these the words of someone who doesn't want to kill, or do they show us a person - a woman - determined to destroy the man she claims to love because he chose another woman?

Mariza: No. This is NOT what happened. Lisa never said those words.

Jace's Attorney: But the witnesses -

Mariza: The witnesses are lying. They're all lying. I'm the only one telling the truth here. Only me!

Jace's Attorney: Very good, Mrs. Firewood. You're the only one telling the truth here. Then let's find out.

The lawyer nods to the clerk and the clerk brings a TV and a video player. The lawyer takes a video cassette from the table and inserts it into the player.

Jace's Attorney: Evidence number five, your honor. Footage from the hidden cameras in the mansion. The moment of the shooting.

Counsel presses play and everyone stares at the screen ...