Chapter 204: Surprises

Twins.
Twins?

I looked back up at the screen as she moved it around to show us yet another tiny silhouette.
"And.. you're sure that's.. not the same one?" Jake asked, keeping his eyes glued to the screen.
"Yes, I'm sure." She laughed, moving it around again. "See? Here's the first one." He was quiet again, his grip on my hand getting tighter.

I could tell I was going to have to be the one to calm him down this time, despite how badly I was freaking out too.

I gently rubbed the top of his hand with my thumb, peeking up at him.
"Can you.. show me the other one again? They.. they look the same to me." He said. I giggled, shaking my head, pulling him in.
"That's because they're twins, Jake." I whispered. He smirked down at me, his cheeks burning red.
"But.. are you sure?" He asked. I could hear his nervous tone.
"Here, let's see if I can get the two of them in the same frame." She said, moving it around again. I could feel Jake's fingers starting to move on top of my hand, his nervous tic.
"And there they are!" She pointed out two little heads.

"Alright.." He sighed. "Yeah, while we're here, I'm gonna need you to make sure there aren't three in there before I have a heart attack." I playfully hit him, knowing he was only half kidding.
"Don't you worry, there are only two, Dad."
"Hear how easily she says only two.." He joked, shaking his head, a small smile finally escaping from his lips. He was starting to calm down. Or at least, he was getting better at hiding it.

"Jake, you're a twin." I laughed. He nodded, still unable to take his eyes off the screen.
"Yeah.." He sighed.
"Oh, so then you're fully prepared." Dr. Kembar said, turning to him. He nodded sarcastically, his eyes going wide.

"So.. so what does this mean.." He asked. "W-what should we do moving forward? Is there anything else that I need to know? What should I be doing for her?"
"Well by the looks of it, you're already doing a great job. Her numbers are right where they need to be. Further down the line. you're just going to have to start thinking in two's." She laughed. He nodded, looking back up at the screen.
"Can we get-"
"Of course." She said, rolling her chair away, getting up and going out into the hallway. I looked up at him, gently rubbing his arm.

"How are you doing?" I whispered. He nodded again, finally looking down at me, forcing a smile.
"I'm.. okay." He managed. I nodded, knowing he was anything but.
"It's gonna be okay. We'll be fine." I assured him. He gave me a subtle smile, leaning down, gently kissing my forehead.

"And here you are." Dr. Kembar said, handing Jake the photo. He took it, inspecting it carefully.
"There are two, Jake." I laughed. He sighed, nodding.
"Yeah.. there are two."
"Is he gonna be okay?" She asked. I nodded.
"He'll be fine."

She cleaned me up, and helped me off the table as Jake continued to inspect the photo.
"One isn't going to just disappear the longer you stare at it." I giggled, grabbing his hand. He finally picked up his head, smirking back at me.
"I know.." He sighed.
"Well, I wish you the best of luck with your next visit." She said, flashing me a big smile. "I'm so excited for you. The more the merrier." I felt Jake's grip get tighter.

"When can we figure out the gender?" He asked.
"That can happen around 14 weeks, the earliest." She said. He nodded.
"Thank you so much." I said, now tugging him towards the door. He nodded, giving her a gentle smile before following me down the hallway and back out to the van. He was so distracted he went right to the driver's side, hopping in and shutting the door behind him, continuing to stare at the ultrasound. I shook my head, trying to contain my smile.

When I got in, I reached over for his hand.
"Hey.." I said softly. "You okay?" He nodded, staying quiet.
"Because.. you don't really seem okay. What are you thinking?" He bit down on his lip, finally looking over at me.
"I'm.. I'm thinking.. I shouldn't have made so many jokes about multiple babies." He said, a smile escaping his lips.
"Yeah, this is kinda on you." I laughed. He nodded, holding his stare on me. "But it's gonna be okay. We're gonna be fine."

"How are you so calm?" He asked. I shrugged.
"Because.. one of us has to be. You can comfort me later." I laughed, reaching over for the photo. There they were. Two tiny little bodies with two tiny little heads and two of the tiniest noses I had ever seen in my life.

And they were ours.

I looked over at Jake who appeared to have zoned out, leaning his head against the steering wheel. I reached over, gently pushing the hair out of his face. He looked back, giving me a gentle smile.
"I'm gonna be okay. Don't worry." He assured me. "I'm just.. processing."
"That's okay." I said, gently running my hand up and down his back. He finally sat up, leaning over, gently kissing my cheek and taking the photo from me again.
"I'm so happy it's with you." He said, reaching over for my hand, intertwining our fingers. My smile grew, my heart now beating faster.

I had spent my entire life terrified of the idea of one day having kids with the wrong person. I had seen it time and time again, with everyone around me, with my own parents, but.. I wasn't scared anymore. I would never be scared again. I knew I had found my person, and I was so relieved that I could give my babies that, knowing they would never have to go through what I went through.

They would be happy and they would be so loved.

"So, you asked about the gender.." I said. He nodded, looking back at me.
"Yeah, don't we want to know?" He asked.
"Well, I.. I thought I did but.. I don't know, I.. I kinda like the idea of it being a surprise." He sighed, holding his stare on me, giving me a playful smirk.
"You just wanna kill me, don't you?" He asked, giggling to himself.
"Of course not." I sighed, running my fingers through his hair. "I just think-" He leaned in, cutting me off, pulling me into a kiss.

"If you want it to be a surprise, then it can be a surprise. Despite the fact that I feel like we've had enough surprises for a lifetime today.. if you want it to be a surprise.. then.. I can wait." He sighed. I could tell this was agonizing for him.

"Thank you." I said, kissing him again. I felt his lips curl into a smile, moving his hand behind my head, kissing me back.
"You're lucky I love you." He sighed. I nodded.
"I am." He held his stare on me, his eyes in a daze.

"Now.. how to tell everyone."