Chapter 211: Safe

Jake quickly pulled me through the parking lot and onto the bus, sitting me down on the couch.
"Are you okay?" He asked, sitting next to me, pulling me closer to him. My mind was racing, my heart still pounding as I tried to register what had just happened. I nodded, finally bringing my attention to him. He reached up, gently running his fingers down my cheek.
"You're sure?" He asked, moving closer. I nodded, staring back at him, his eyes now wide with worry.
"You fell pretty hard." He said softly. My heart dropped, tears now coming to my eyes.

"Jess.." He sighed.
"Jake, w-what if.. something happens." I managed, wiping my eyes. He shook his head, pulling me into a tight hug.
"You're okay. Everything's gonna be okay."
"But it was already.. basically impossible for this to happen as it is.. and I.. I have one job, and it's to protect them, and.. I couldn't even-"
"Jess.. this is not your fault." I shook my head, turning away. I couldn't bare to look at him. I would never be able to forgive myself if anything ever happened to them.

He ran his fingers through my hair, gently caressing my head as I leaned it on his shoulder. It wasn't long before I heard the blaring sirens just outside, the blinding red and blue lights seeping through the windows, illuminating the inside of the bus. I quickly jumped up, leaning over to see them now parked in front of the bar. Jake reached out, gently grabbing onto my hand as I started to go for the door.
"Stay in here." He insisted.
"But we can't just let him-"
"Josh is handling it."

I stopped, looking back outside. The sirens had stopped but the lights were still flashing, lighting up the entire parking lot. People had begun gathering around outside, peeking in through the windows to try and get a better view. There was no doubt that everyone would know by morning.

"Please come sit back down." He said, gently pulling me back. "You shouldn't be getting yourself worked up, it's not good for them." I held my stare outside for a moment before finally giving in, sitting back down across from him.
"Are they gonna arrest him?" I asked.
"Probably. But.. we'll handle it. He'll be fine."
"What do you mean.. you'll handle it?" He sighed.
"He's gotten in trouble before."

"I just don't want him to-"
"Josh will be there. He won't be alone." I bit down on my lip, nodding, staring back at him.
"Thank you.. for not doing that." I finally said.
"I didn't want to make it worse, but I.. I don't want you to think-"
"Jake, I never want your first instinct to be to snap like that. I appreciate what he did, I do, but.. that's not what I want to teach our kids. I know what you were trying to do. I needed you there to comfort me and.. you were. So, thank you. I.. I couldn't handle anything happening to you, I need you here, with me." I could see his face start to relax, a subtle smile spreading across his lips. I reached out, holding his face in my hands, pulling him into a gentle kiss.

"You're already such a good dad." I sighed. "And I'm so proud to have you as their dad." His smile grew, his cheeks burning.
"I'm trying to be." He said, pulling me into another kiss. "I just.. I never want you to worry about.. whether or not I can protect you, or them. You know I'd do anything for you, I just didn't want to give him a reason to get any more.. I was just-" I cut him off, pulling him into another kiss.
"I know." I sighed. "And I always feel safe with you. But.. I'd much rather have you here with me than having to bail you out of jail." I giggled. He nodded.

"You know we're not going out anymore right?" He laughed, shaking his head. I nodded.
"I know." I sighed. "I'm so sorry. I just.. I never want you to miss out-"
"You see what I'd be missing out on? Not much. I would've much rather been in here.. alone with you." He smirked. "We could've avoided all of that.. and had the bus to ourselves." I couldn't help but smile, moving up onto his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck.
"You're right." I said softly. His smile grew, his eyes getting wide.
"What was that?" He giggled. I rolled my eyes, pulling him into a kiss.
"You're right, you're right.." I muttered.