4. Breaking the rules

As I looked around the corner of the stairs, I noticed guards were standing watch at the entrance. The odds were in my favor, they were facing the windows. I quietly rolled over and snuck past them, precisely like how my father had trained me.

I stood up and faced the pitch black hallway. Luckily for me, my senses didn't require any lights to work. I looked around and felt there was nothing here except for darkness. Step by step, I came closer to the intersection. When I reached it, I took a quick peak around. Again, all the lights were off and it was completely abandoned.

And they seriously claimed the palace was well protected? 

I pressed on and looked out the windows on both sides of the hallway. To the right, you could see the big, illuminated courtyard Foxglove was talking about earlier and to the left? Well there wasn't really much to see, but I knew you were supposed to see the gardens there. Ironically, there were guards standing watch in the courtyard, but unless they could see my eyes, which they couldn't, they weren't able to notice me because all the fucking lights were off.

I couldn't help but laugh a little at their stupidity, but quickly remembered I was here to find the shadowy figure, making me walk further into the hallway. At the end of it, there was another intersection, making you go either left or right. I stood there, overthinking which side to pick when I suddenly felt myself being drawn to the right. 

For some reason, this side of the hallway was lit poorly, whereas the left side was completely dark. Two guards were standing in front of a large black door. The prickling feeling flew through my body again and suddenly, the shadowy figure appeared at the end of the hallway, pointing his finger towards the door.

I needed to enter that room.

In a swift but silent motion, I snuck up to the guards and knocked both of them out at the same time, dragging their bodies to an even darker part of the hallway afterwards.

"Sorry." I whispered before slowly opening the door.

While squeezing myself through the small opening I created in order to not catch the attention from the guards in the courtyard, I kept my eyes on them. When I was completely through it, I quickly closed the door before turning around. Shivers ran through my whole body and I gulped as I realized where I was.

A throne room. 

The throne room. 

The one I saw in my strange dream only a couple nights ago. The scenery was almost exactly the same, with some more chairs and statues here and there, but that throne still stood solemnly at the end of it. Only this time, the blood was absent.

It had a pull to it like a magnet, drawing me near. Even though I could resist it, I didn't, and made my way over there instead while summoning my Seregsword, because I knew someone intended for me to come here. 

As I stood before it, only a staircase away, I turned around and grabbed the figure that had been silently walking behind me by the neck, pushing my sword against its throat.

"What do you want." I hissed.

Instead of answering, the figure removed the black fog covering it, revealing itself as the marked man from my dreams.

"Why the hell were you in my dream? And how?" I growled at him.

"I am here to guide you on your journey." He spoke without opening his mouth.

"What journey?" I said, pressing the sword harder into his skin.

"All will be discovered in time." He said before disappearing into thin air.