12. A Supernatural lesson

"I'm sorry, you want to do what?!" Foxglove tilted his head in disbelief like everyone else.

Valerio stared at the men without a muscle moving in his face. "What kind of a king would I be if I didn't fight for my kingdom and its people. I will fight and that's final."

"Are you sure Sir?" Mallory asked carefully. "The conquest is till the death. You could die."

"Oh, I won't die." He said confidently, a grin gracing his face.

"If he participates, then so will I." Haimon exclaimed.

Two kings participating in a deadly conquest. Amazing, more kings dying was just what the people needed.

"You do realize one king will die then?" Briar questioned. A little late to the party but maybe he finally got some common sense.

"It doesn't matter, I've already got preparations in place for my successor." Haimon stated.

"So you think you're going to die?" I blurted out.

He opened his mouth to say something, but quickly closed it again when he realized how his previous words sounded. He scratched his neck and straightened his back. "Of course not." He scoffed and I narrowed my eyes.

Sure, Jan.

"Right." Foxglove said changing the subject. "Then it will be three chosen fighters for the supernatural kingdoms in addition to their kings and it will be four chosen fighters for the human one as we have no king. That's literally, you know, what this conquest is for."

Everyone in the room agreed and gave their word. I looked over to my father to see he had written everything down, to prevent any one of them from breaking their word. Clever man.

"Moving on to our last point of interest since you're all here. Mr. Ashford here has come to the conclusion that the Crosslings have gone back to their respective kingdoms. Therefore he has made the request to fly over to each kingdom for a week to continue his investigation there. Of course, approval from King Orpheus and King Phelan is required for both weeks."

I had no idea my father wanted to go to the other kingdoms for his investigation. I rolled my eyes at him, how was I supposed to be his bodyguard if he didn't share anything of importance, like flying over to whole different kingdoms full of supernatural creatures?

"No problem, we're innocent anyway." Haimon shrugged.

Valerio just nodded. I mean, why waste words and come over as an actual being with emotions when you can act like a stone Greek god-like robot instead.

"Very good, then that's agreed upon as well. He will fly to the first kingdom on Monday." Foxglove said.

Hold up, that was only a couple of days from now.

He continued. "Naturally, his bodyguard will have to accompany him."

Hold up again, I was his bodyguard. I sighed, this was going to be a disaster.

The meeting ended shortly after. The delegations would stay for a couple more days to take care of some arrangements with the generals, meaning my father and I would leave around the same time as them. It was decided that tomorrow would be the day of the announcement to the people. Their brilliant plan consisted out of tackling the issues of the king and queen being murdered, the existence of supernatural creatures and the conquest for the throne together in one speech. I made a mental note to get myself some popcorn during it.

My father grabbed my hand and dragged me to the library, which was really big, old and above all, black. Aside from the color, it reminded me of Beauty and the Beast a little. He motioned to a table and I sat down while he did the same thing. I laid my arms on the table and leaned forward.