41. Unleashed

The silence made its way into the helicopter again and while the men tried to get some sleep in, I couldn't. Exhaustion and thirst had hit me like a truck now that we were able to sit down and get some rest, and even though I managed to drink six water bottles, sleeping just wasn't in the cards for me. I was too on edge to even attempt it.

What if I did fall asleep and they would try to kill and decapitate me? I was pretty sure it wouldn't work since I healed too quickly so the front of my neck would've been healed before the axe would leave the back. But what if they captured me instead and found a way to imprison me for the rest of my life? I didn't even know if I would age, I could be stuck there forever. What if I got the nightmare again and accidentally killed someone because of the adrenaline when I woke up?

Get it together and stop your mind from derailing, Iola.

I slapped myself in the face and shook my head. This helicopter ride wasn't good for my sanity. I needed a desperate talk with my father. Unfortunately, I probably had to arrange a shit load of other stuff before I could talk to him because I was the ruler of this kingdom now.

By the time we landed I was frustrated as hell. It didn't help that the second the doors opened, reporters swarmed in front of the helicopter. Palace guards had to push them aside to make way for us and even then, some reporters managed to wiggle themselves through security. 

Valerio and I exchanged a look before we got out. How unexpected that when we did, every camera, microphone and other reporter technology suddenly malfunctioned. Even pens appeared to stop rolling. Regardless of that, it didn't stop them from bombarding me with questions.

"How are you feeling, Queen Iola, now that the prophecy has come true?"

"Can you tell us more about your powers?"

"Why did you grant them mercy?"

"Are you in love with them?"

"How will you rule?"

"Do you know anything about the investigation?"

We were greeted by Foxglove halfway to the car and I wondered why on earth they had allowed those reporters onto palace grounds in the first place. They really wanted to milk this conquest as much as they could.

During the car ride Foxglove attempted to give me a random crash course on royal etiquette, but one look was enough to make him shut up. It was the last thing I needed right now. When we got out of the car, he suggested that I freshen up a bit first, which again, earned him a look. I was put through shit and I felt like it too, so I was going to face these people looking however I fucking pleased.

"Come on. Let's get you to the ballroom. Everyone's waiting for you there." Foxglove swung his arm around my shoulder and I immediately removed it. 

Yes, after going through the conquest I was mad at him again for not stepping up when I got framed.

Guards bowed to me wherever we went and when the doors to the room finally opened, we were greeted by lots of bright lights, people and loud music. The whole charade was extremely overwhelming and the three of us froze in the door opening. Foxglove went along, not noticing our discomfort, while the people in the room slowly began to turn their attention to us.

Haimon was the first to snap out of it and enter the room to go talk with the other vampires, he was used to this kind of stuff after all. Valerio followed minutes after and went over to the werewolves, but not before nudging my shoulder.

Finally after what seemed to be hours, but were in fact minutes, I stepped into the room as well. I instantly got swamped in a crowd full of people who all wanted to congratulate me. Everyone bowed or curtsied. Some people wanted to take pictures or autographs, others just wanted to shake my hand.