31. Biggest fear

A couple days passed by with people avoiding me at all costs. Every fighter had moved into the palace where the trainings would be held. We were all assigned a personal trainer to prepare us for the conquest. The location wasn't known yet, it would be revealed at the actual start to give us more of a challenge.

Apparently, multiple fighters wanted me to be their trainer before the choosing ceremony, but now that I was one of them it wasn't allowed. Even if it was, I wouldn't have done it anyway. The training period had begun already but so far I had skipped out on it. I was hoping my father would be assigned to train me as he had done it my whole life, but no. The generals had agreed that Foxglove was going to be my personal trainer, much to my dismay.

There was absolutely nothing that man could teach me.

That wasn't the only reason I hadn't attended any of the mandatory training sessions yet. Another reason was that there were cameras literally everywhere, either for screen tests or the fact the leading men had decided it would be a good idea to capture everything in a documentary and for social media. 'We must capture history.' they had said.

Speaking of the media, it had exploded. News outlets were asking for quotes, interviews, photos and were busy digging up the past of every fighter. There were official 'The conquest' social media pages which immediately attracted millions of followers. On top of that, an official website had been created where people could vote for their favorite fighters and even place bets. Everyone, except me, seemed to love the attention and now the training period included mandatory interviews as well. Something which was apparently already stated in the application form the volunteers had to fill in and agree to.

The only entertainment I had gotten out of it so far was the fact I figured out I did not only confuse technology around me, I could control it with my mind as well. I could switch cameras and mics on and off. So whenever they would come close to me when I was walking somewhere, they somehow seemed to malfunction every single time.

What a pity.

Another journal was burning to ashes in the fireplace of my bedroom as I sat on the floor, resting my elbows on my knees. I think I went through five of them the last couple of days alone. I barely slept at night, my thoughts and nightmare keeping me up the whole time, and I desperately needed a break.

A knock on the door distracted me from my mind and I got up to open it with a sigh.

"You." I narrowed my eyes.

"Me." Foxglove smirked, nudging me aside and entering my room without any invitation.

Rolling my eyes, I closed the door behind me. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall. "We've been cutting you some slack the past couple of days sunshine, but you need to come to training as of today. It's mandatory for every fighter."

"You've been cutting me some slack?" I snorted, raising my eyebrows. "You've all been too scared to actually talk to me. I could literally hear the meeting about who was going to have to face me today."

His smirk dropped and turned into a glare. "Just do it, then you won't need your morning workouts anymore either."

"Oh, I'm not going to give up those workouts. I want to actually stay fit and make real progress." I chuckled amused.

Ever since the choosing ceremony I had earned a certain dominance on the training ground. Men would immediately step aside and let me do whatever training I wanted to do, even if they were in the middle of their workout. Some did it out of fear, others did it out of respect, but whatever the reason was, it was extremely funny to see a man as big as the mountain from Game of Thrones graciously move out of the way for me.