• The Unexpected •

"I'm okay," Calix said softly so I opened my eyes. I noticed that my dad was lying on the ground.

"Get her out of here!" Vicente yelled at Calix before he went over to grab my dad's gun. He wrestled with our dad over the gun and I cried while Calix led us out of the store.

"Vicente no!" I yelled in fear then we heard another loud shot go off and my breathing stopped for a split second.

"Jose! Let the boy go. This is between you and me so let's settle this once and for all." Calix's dad said and the room dawned in silence.

"Why is your dad here?" I asked Calix and he frowned deeply.

"Vasquez." My dad said in disgust. Wait aren't they running the family mafia together? Why does it look like they hate each other?

"I should've killed her when I had the chance." Mr Vasquez said and I froze up. Wait- It was him?

"You killed my mom?" I asked in pain.

"I should've killed you instead." He said bluntly. "You're gonna be the end of our family. You don't belong here." He said rudely.

"I'll fucking kill you," Calix said before pulling his gun out. "How dare you talk to her like that?" He asked his dad.

"Don't disrespect me, son. Not for her. Do you know how hard it's been for me to tolerate her?" He asked angrily.

"Well, you're gonna have to get used to being disrespected by me because Nevaeh is my fiancée and she's pregnant with our child," Calix told his dad whose eyes widened.

"Easy. I'll just kill them both. Right after I kill my beloved best friend Jose." His dad promised him.

"Then you'll have to kill me first," Calix said before standing in front of me as a shield.

"I see. Even though you never got to know your mommy! You managed to turn out just like her! Manipulator." Calix's dad spat at me.

"What happened between you?" Vicente asked and my dad punched Mr Vasquez square on his jaw.

"He was jealous! Because Valentina chose me." My dad said angrily. "So he killed her!" He said in pain. Mr Vasquez then punched my dad so I took a seat next to a mirror.

"You're wrong. You didn't give her a choice. She was forced to marry you, for the sake of the family." Mr Vasquez said softly.

"We can either kill each other and leave our legacy to our kids. Or we can live in peace." My dad said and Mr Vasquez laughed at him.

"Oh no, we're killing each other. That's what V would've wanted." He said and I held my throbbing head in my hands.

"No that's what you wanted Slater. It's what you'll always want." My dad said pointedly. "Give me the gun." He told Vicente who hesitantly handed him the gun.

They held each other at gunpoint and I shook my head in disbelief.

"Stop!" I yelled angrily. "Just fucking stop with this psychotic bullshit. Nobody is dying today."

"Who put you in the position to"

"Shut up, old man. Or I will kill you." I stopped him and he let his gun down. "You too Dad," I warned and he let his gun down.

"You're both fucking old and retired. Take a hint. We're the future of the family business. Whether you like it or not Slater!" I said angrily. Damn, these hormones are kicking in at the right time.

"Who do you think-"

"If you lay a finger on me or my child I will make it my duty to end you," I said pointedly.

"Erm I have a confession to make," Vicente said.

"Let me finish Vicente!" I said angrily.

"Mom isn't dead." He blurted out and our dad stormed at him.

"What do you mean your mom isn't dead?" He asked Vicente in an angered voice.

"She isn't dead." He repeated. Wait- My mom is alive? And Vicente lied to us this whole time?

I suddenly felt something warm dripping down my legs so I looked down.

"Calix," I said in a mere whisper. He looked at me with a frown on his forehead before looking down at my legs. He picked me up into his arms and I gasped at the pain.

"Leave her!" His dad yelled angrily.

"Fuck you," Calix said before running outside.

Why am I bleeding?

"Don't cry, baby. It'll be okay." He said before gently placing me into the passenger seat of his car. He hastily made his way over to his side.

Then the unexpected happened. Another shot went off and this time the bullet hit Calix.

His father let the gun fall to the ground as Calix hit the side of his car.

"No!" I cried out loudly.

Calix climbed into the car before speeding down the street.

"I'm fine." He said while squeezing my hand. I watched the blood oozing out of his wound and I couldn't help but cry.

"I'll fix this." He said weakly as he drove down to the hospital.