8: PAPER RING

Two months after her sixteenth birthday, she never talked to Seungcheol again. His last text message and call were that same day, two months ago.

She can always remember how happy she was on that day. They played and goofed around. They both felt like they become kids again, running around and playing in the cold water. They watched the sunset too like every couple dreamed to do. That while staring at the clear sky, hugging the silence between them, she still felt happy and contented. That she never thought of this day coming.

Why was he hiding? Why was he not showing up? Did he do something wrong this time? Or is that her who was the problem?

Of course, it's not. Since even if she's angry or upset at him, he would still show up and irritate her until she's fed up enough to forgive him.

There will always be other reasons.

Now that she's thinking of it, she can't get off the thought that there's something bugging Seungcheol.

Now she could remember how she can catch him looking at a distance blankly like he has fallen into deep thinking. She has never seen that kind of look on Seungcheol's face before. That's why it's also bugging her.

She asked about it when he was taking her home, but instead of answering he just smiled and kissed her temple and then he lightly pushed her inside her house. She knows he's just avoiding her question and that only made her bore suspicions about him.

Before she slept that night, she even received a text message from him. It was just like any random messages he'll send her but the content never made her stop worrying about him.

Seungcheol: You trust me right?

Of course, she directly replied.

Taerin: Of course. What kind of question is that?

She felt the strong and rapid beating of her heart. He's being straightforward and she's not liking the feeling it was giving her.

It took him a few minutes to reply.

Seungcheol: You will believe me no matter what, right? You promised, right?

Taerin: Is there a problem, Seungcheol?

She can't help but ask. She's starting to get worried. But instead of answering her question, he just said nothing else.

Seungcheol: I love you. I love you so much. Always remember that, okay? Happy birthday, Taerin-ah.

Taerin: I love you too, Seungcheol. Thank you.

Then after that, he never texted or called. He never showed up. Even Junhui, Wonwoo, Soonyoung, Jihoon, and the rest of his brothers were not at school so she never got the chance to ask what happened. She was worried sick about everything, especially everything about Seungcheol. It's always obvious that something is up based on his actions and what he was saying but he never told her even one.

"Dominique."

She looked up to see her Mom. Her mind if flying with the wind she didn't even pay attention to what her Mom was saying.

"Mom."

"Something's wrong, darling?" Her Mom's forehead creased while looking at her. "I have observed that you've always been out of your thinking and always blank these past weeks. Is it because of your coming graduation day?"

She shook her head. "No Mom. This is nothing. I was just thinking about my last exam."

She will never open up to her parents about her heart problems. Her parents don't know about her relationship with Seungcheol. She was the one who wanted to hide it from her own parents when Seungcheol wanted their relationship to be legal. She doesn't want to be in trouble with his Dad even if they were good friends with Seungcheol's family.