Prolog - Welcome to Forks

I sighed as I looked out of the window quietly. The longer we drive, the more trees appeared. As soon as I sat in the car I put my headphones in and ignored everyone around me, daydreaming while I watched the trees. I know it was rude but I honestly couldn't care less.

Behind the wheel was my new "Dad". His Name was Vince Lorens. Next to him, my new "Mom" - Rhea Lorens. They seemed nice. But everyone looks nice when they want to adopt you. Trust me, I have seen it before. Five times already. This time is the sixth.

The longest I lasted in a family was a year and two months. It was the second family that wanted to adopt me. The first one only lasted five weeks. After that they had to move because of a job offer and because the "trial period" wasn't over they had to put me back in the children's home. I wasn't that sad about it. But I missed their dog. I was too young anyway.

The second family was different. After them it was nothing like before. They were incredibly nice. I felt like a part of the family after just a few weeks. In the end they put me back because they found another kid. I wasn't old enough to understand it. I cried. Often. I missed them. Until I realized they liked the other kid more than me. I wasn't new anymore. I wasn't interesting anymore. So they put me back. They gave my heart a crack and took my trust with them as they left the children's home without me.

I only lasted a few months with the next people that adopted me. And the ones after them. In between I lived in the children's home three years and a half. And after the fifth family gave me back I spent another few years there until they put me in a different children's home. They thought that I might have more luck there. But I didn't. So I moved again. Same result. That's why I never had friends. And with the trust issues I developed I didn't think I'd find some here.

Honestly, I didn't even know where "here" was. I didn't really listen when they talked to Avery - a part of the home's staff. I've always liked her the most. She was young and kind. The only person I'd really talked to from time to time. That's why the other staff members thought she should take care of the adoption.

I sighted again as I saw the big sign. "Welcome to Forks" it said. I slightly flinched as I felt someone tapping against my knee. Putting down my headphones I looked to Rhea. She smiled.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to scare you. Just wanted to tell you that we're almost there.", she said. I nod. She gave me a reassuring smile before she turned to the front.

I guess "here" was Forks then.