Chapter 40 - Situations

They were relieved. It was more than obvious. There was just one thing they had to do.

Wait.

They were missing a lot of school in general. I didn't want to do the same. So I told them that they would get their chance while breaks or after school.

And there was another condition. I wanted to talk at a public space. Just for my safety, even though I didn't know how much they cared about witnesses.

I couldn't describe what I felt on the drive. They insisted on taking me with them. And that definitely didn't ease my mind. Or my body. I was really tense. Emmett had to pick me up and put me onto the backseat after I declined multiple times. They tried to explain on the way, but I always made them shut up.

I felt a little scared. And I felt anger. They could've told me. Or did they just played me all the time and Alice invitations were to make me their dinner? But I also felt sympathy. I couldn't imagine hiding all the time. That's the same thought I had when the guys told me about their shifting ability. Everything was so messed up.

As soon as we arrived, I practically jumped out the car and hurried to get inside. It was like I was running from them. I heard Rosalie call my name, but I chose to ignore it. Unfortunately, the first break came faster than I wanted it to come. As soon as I stepped out of the classroom, I saw Emmett and Rosalie walking in my direction.

I immediately started to get nervous. My hands became sweaty and my heart beat accelerated. I was unsure if I should walk to them or just wait where I was. A classmate mumbled something rude as I suddenly came to a halt. He almost bumped into me. The girl right behind him actually did.

I almost dropped my books and stumbled a little but was able to maintain my balance. "Oh god, I'm sorry.", she immediately apologized. "Ah no, it was my fa-", I started but was interrupted by Emmetts voice. "Hey, are you okay?", he asked. "Yeah, no worries.", I answered and helped the girl to pick up her stuff. My voice was rather cold.

The girl - her name was Stephanie - thanked me and quickly went away. It was obvious that she felt out of place. I probably would've felt the same. Who wouldn't?

"Can we talk now? Please?", Rosalie asked. I actually had hoped that they would want to talk after school. That would've gotten me more time to prepare myself. On the other hand, I don't think I would ever feel ready for this kind of conversation. I sighed.

I opened my mouth to answer yes but was interrupted once again. This time by Angie and Jessica calling my name. I knew that they noticed me this morning getting out of Emmetts car. And that they would want to hear everything that had happened.

A few meters away they stopped when Rosalie and Emmett turned around and they realized who I was talking to. "Oh", was the only thing Jess could say at that moment. "We..we didn't want to disturb your conversation. Sorry, we should.. go", Angie said and was clearly in between confusion and surprise. She took Jessica's arm and pulled her in the direction they came from but stopped when I called them back. "No! No, it's fine. Sorry, but I gotta talk to them, it's important. See you later", I quickly said to Emmett and Rosalie who weren't any less irritated than anyone else participating in this situation but I couldn't care less. I was thankful for the opportunity the girls gave me.

The thought of talking to the Cullens was somehow scary. Not because of the main topic itself - that they were vampires. And I should definitely be more concerned about that. But the thought about them wanting space and probably never talk to me again, especially after apologizing to me was even more hurtful. I didn't understand myself anymore. One day I cried because of them, another I was indifferent, then I even forgot about them but now I'm worried? Oh God, please let me walk into a driving car. That would made so much things easier. Plus I hadn't to worry about the upcoming biology test anymore.

When Jessica, Angie and I were far enough - even though I didn't know how far they could hear, after Paul told me about their superhearing - we stopped and they asked me different things at these same time. Their speed of talking wasn't human anymore. "Hey, calm down, I don't understand a single thing", I said, after they seemingly didn't realize they were both talking. "Oh sorry. It's about this morning. We saw you getting out of Emmetts car. What happened? And why did we leave earlier? Or better; why did you leave?", Jessica asked. I sighed. "They showed up in front of the house this morning. And after we had a little discussion they insisted that I should go with them. They are going to explain the situation to me later. Well, probably that was the plan a few minutes ago but I really wasn't in the mood to hear their poor reasons, so you two really saved me.", I replied. My voice was tired and I really wanted to change the topic but with these two that was impossible. "Poor reasons? How do you know that if you don't listen? I think you should hear them out and decide afterwards", Angie said way too logical to say anything against it. Jess agreed, "She's not wrong". "Yeah, you're right. But not now. I really need this break.", I replied.

They gave me looks of sympathy. I guess they noticed the dark circles under my eyes. Once again I wondered how I got into this situation. I still couldn't believe how much had happened in the few months I lived in Forks. And I got that nagging feeling that this wasn't the end of it all.