13|| Get me out of here

Payton

It's just another Saturday. Another shit day. Another day I get to hate myself for everything I do. Yesterday was fun and all and I wish I could bring that to today but the truth is I can't. I can have fun but it never lasts. Eventually I will wake up and i'll be in my shit reality again.

I can't even make it to the kitchen before I hear my parents arguing. They don't even try to be quiet. Most times i'm brought into it just because they know it hurts me. They drain me. I never feel like myself in this place that's supposed to be my home. I never feel like I belong. I never feel like I should be here. They do a fucking bad job at parenting.

As I get my food out of the cabinet I try to ignore them. I try to think of last night and how I had fun with Matti. How my hood fell off but somehow I don't care.

It's crazy to think that a year ago I would have laughed in your face if you told me what had happened last night. Not just my hood falling off but the fact that I went out with someone. I had fun with someone else. A year ago I would have found that utterly hilarious.

I make myself a sandwich and completely drown out my parents fighting for the first time in years. All I had to do was think about Matthew and ever thing else seemed to be a background noise. A subtle buzz in the distance that you can't really hear.

When I come back to reality I have somehow ended up in my room, my sandwich in hand. I take a bite of my delicious sandwich and switch on my tv to watch a show. I scroll through Netflix for a solid 30 minutes before I give up and just stare at the ceiling.

I can't seem to focus on anything else but last night. I can't watch a show, read a book, do homework, text people. Matthew has filled every spot in my brain and I can't wash them out.

After a little while of just sitting in the darkness, I hear a loud crash come from downstairs. Glass is breaking and I hear screams. I am suddenly frightened and all the happiness from last night completely vanishes.

I run down the stairs to see what happened. I see a broken vase and my dad on top on my mom. He looks like he is about to go in for another punch but I push him off of her. I may hate my mother but I will never stand around and watch her be abused.

"Get off of her!" I yell

He pushes me off of him and goes for me next. I instinctively guard my face and block his hit. I'm so over this shit. I'm tired of being in a house with parents who can't handle living together. With parents who can't parent.

"Don't interfere with me Payton. Have you never heard of leaving the adults alone?" He says in a cold tone

"Dont fucking talk to me." I spit back at him

"Don't try me. I will slap you like I slapped your mother. Your fake confidence doesn't fool me. You're a fucking coward." He says

I can feel the tears prickling at the back of my eyes. Not because what he said hurt. I could care less what that motherfucker thinks of me. I want to cry at the fact that he's right. I am a coward. I let my mother be abused for years until I understood what was really going on and at that point I couldn't do anything. My efforts did nothing for me and I ended up just staying in my room.

I don't know what came over me today that made me jump at him but I wish I didn't. My parents need to handle it, not me. I can't do anything anyway.

"Go to your room and leave me and your mother alone."

I don't even bother saying anything else. I just turn around and head to my room.

"God, why did you have to have a fucking baby?" I hear my father mutter to my mother who is sprawled in the floor. Tears falling down her cheeks. Why did you mom? If I wasn't here you'd be happy.

***

The next morning I wake up with a headache. I had a sudden urge to just die when I woke up. I reluctantly get out of my bed and get dressed. I don't know where I'm going but I can't stay here. I need out.

I get in my car and just start driving. I drive for a solid 15 minutes before I find myself parked outside of Matthew's house. I get out of my car and walk up to the front door. Please don't be home.

_____

HOW DID WE LIKE THIS CHAPTERRR??