2|| Small Brunette

Matthew O'Connor

I was walking out of my first period class and down the hall to my next one when I bumped into this short brunette i've never seen before.

"Watch where you're going. I'm trying to text someone here" She looked up at me angrily. Hm she looks familiar although I can't really see her face, her hood and hair are covering it pretty well.

"Maybe you shouldn't text and walk" I say with a shrug

She replies with a simple "Whatever" Before she tried to walk away. I was intrigued though, so I grabbed her arm and pulled her back. "Ugh. What"

"What's your name" I asked amusement written all over my face

"Nunya business Matthew" She knew my name?

"You know my name?"

"Who doesn't know your name? I go to this school. You're the star football player ." She got a point but she did not have to add the jazz hands.

"True true, but since you know my name it's only fair I know your name" She sighed heavily but nonetheless answered me

"Fine. My name is Payton. Can I go now?" Payton? Payton? Do I know a Payton? I'll check yearbooks later. Because when I pulled her back I saw her face a little more and she looked really familiar. But not familiar at all if that makes sense.

"Sure. See you around Payton"

"I hope not" I heard her mutter under her breath. I wonder if she has something against me. Did we know each-other and I did something to piss her off?

It doesn't matter that much does it though. Because she's just Payton. Sure she's cute and has that little innocent look that has guys going crazy over but she's just another girl. I head over to my second period class and make it in just as the bell is ringing. That was close.

The teacher started the lesson and I took notes and did as she said. She gave us an assignment that was fairly easy over heredity and all that shit. It has changed every-time i've been taught it. New levels of understanding and what not. It's all very confusing.

I finish the assignment quickly and turn it on. Then I work on another classes assignment waiting for the bell to ring signaling for lunch. When the bell does finally ring I pack up my things and walk to the cafeteria to meet my friends.

When I get the the cafeteria I see my friends Blake, Reese, Jesse, and Logan. They're all on the football team too which is cool. We work pretty well together and get to practice at each other's houses and stuff.

"Yo wassup dude" Reese greets me as I approach the table

"What's up" I say back as I take my seat "I got a question" A question that has been bothering me all day

"What's going on?" Jesse asks

"Do y'all know a Payton. She wears a hood over her head. She looks like she's quiet?"

"Oh Payton White. Yea, we went to elementary school and I think middle school with her. She changed after 8th grade though. Stopped talking to us and started covering her face all the time. Why?" Logan spoke that time.

So is that why she was in a pissy mood with me? Because we stopped talking? But how Logan made it sound she stopped talking to us. What happened?

"No reason. I just ran into her today and she looked familiar. I was just wondering if y'all knew her." I saw shrugging. It's gonna bother me not knowing why we stopped talking though.

The rest of lunch we all just had random conversation and ate our food. Lunch is never too exciting with us. We really just like to eat our food. I started looking around the cafeteria and I spotted Payton's hoodie. Why did I remember her hoodie?

I saw she was with someone and they were talking. She tilted her head back and she was shaking a little. She was laughing. That's the mood I wish she gave me this morning, but no I got the pissy Payton.

"Reese" I say tapping his arm "Who's Payton with?" I ask pointing in her direction

"Oh that's her hot cousin, Ava, as far as I know it's the only person Payton willingly talks too." Hm that's interesting.

"Does anyone know why she changed after 8th grade?" I mean that was 3 years ago someone has to know why.

"No, she hasn't told anyone. She kinda just stopped talking. She came to school freshman year with new hair and a hidden face. For the first few weeks her friends tried talking to her, us included actually, but she gave vague and half hearted answers so we eventually stopped trying. Something probably happened at home because she hasn't changed back to her old self" He finished with a shrug. Well that's not helpful. What happened?

"Oh okay. Thanks" That's a lame reply but I can't act like I'm too interested. He'll get suspicious and I don't even know what's gotten into me.

I tried racking my brain for a memory about her. I thought long and hard. It took a bit but I remembered one. It was 7th grade. She had blonde hair and striking brown eyes that looked beautiful in the sunlight. We were walking to our next class together and making jokes. We were laughing and I ended up falling on my ass and she just laughed harder. Her laughter was contagious so she got me laughing too. Then I remember trying to talk to her freshman year and her shutting me out. I remember being hurt and making an effort to forget about her.

I did a really good job at forgetting about her because when I bumped into her and saw her small perfect figure and her brunette hair I didn't recognize her. She looks a lot different than 7th grade. She dyed her hair brown and it looks like she hit the gym because even through the hoodie you can see her hourglass figure which is impressive. I was surprised how beautiful she was and how i've never noticed her, but now I know why. I made an effort to forget about her and then all the stress with football and distracting myself with girls I succeeded.

I feel guilty for some reason. If something did happen at home, she needs people. And everyone just gave up on her. Everyone left her. Including me. I don't remember asking her what's wrong I just remember her acting different and me being pissed and hurt. She needs people and my friends would be perfect.

"Hey guys how would y'all feel about reconnecting with miss Payton White?"

"Yea let's do it" They all said in unison with some shrugs.

____

Okur guys how's it going? Leave a comment and tell me how the story is! Don't be a silent reader!!