17|| Grandma White

Matthew

I feel so bad for Payton. She's been through so much and I wish I could do something to help, Grandma White is on her way and Payton can't sit still because she's so anxious.

This whole situation is crazy. I wake up to cuddling Payton and she leaves, but then she knocks again telling me she needs a ride to the hospital. I've just been in the background giving Payton her space. When we went into her moms hospital room and she started crying, my heart broke for her. She said all of this stuff about not wanting to love her and I swear I almost cried for her.

Grandma White has finally arrived and Payton got out of her seat so fast and sprinted to her. They hugged for like 5 minutes before I could be introduced to her. When Payton let's go she turns around and points at me.

"This is Matthew" Her Grandma gave her a look and then said hello

"Hi, nice to meet you" I politely say back

"So, is this the Matthew" My heart practically stops. What does Grandma White mean by that. Did Payton tell her about me? I turn my head to look at Payton and I raise my eyebrows in a questioning way. She's turning so red she has to hide her face in her hands.

"Grandma" Grandma White shrugs her shoulders and laughs.

We walk back into the waiting room and I just silently observe Payton while she talks to her grandma. It's nice seeing a smile on Payton's face when she talks. I'm glad that she has her grandma to talk to because now I know her parental situation is a shit show.

I don't know much but I know her dads a bitch and seeing how her mom looked, Mr. White is probably the one responsible. I mean he didn't even show up for his wife. I don't want her going back to her dad alone. Without her mother there, she is probably who he would take his anger out on.

"I'm gonna use the bathroom. I'll be right back." Payton says as she's walking off. Grandma White scoots over a chair and starts talking to me.

"So, how long have y'all been dating?"

"Oh, uhm we aren't dating." I kind of wish we were though.

"So ask her out." If it were only that simple

"She wouldn't say yes. She doesn't feel that way and i'm sure she isn't thinking about that right now."

"Bull.Shit. I see the way y'all steal glances at each other. Sure she didn't feel that way when you asked her to hangout that one Friday, but she sure feels something or you wouldn't be here." she told her grandma about that Friday?

"I don't know" Now isn't the time and I'm not even sure what I feel. Everything with Payton is so new and I would hate to hurt her by jumping into it. These types of things take time and I know that's what Payton needs. Time.

All I get is a "hmmph" from her grandma before she moves back to her original seat because she sees Payton walking back.

**

It's been a few hours and we're about to be driving to a restaurant. They haven't discussed where Payton is gonna be living. It better not be with her father. I'm really hoping they discuss it over dinner. Grandma White took a cab to the hospital so we're all in my car

"Let's go to KFC, i'm in the mood for chicken." Payton randomly states

"Okay" I shrug and pull out of the parking lot. KFC isn't too far from the hospital so we get there pretty quick.

After we all ordered we sat in a booth waiting for them to call our number.

**

I drive Grandma White home and then make my way to Payton's house.

"Don't make me go" she says very quietly

"What?"

"Don't make me go home." I turn my head to look at her to see how serious she is. "Please." I feel so bad but where would I bring her?

"Where would I take you instead?" She seems to think for a minute

"I don't know" her shoulders sag in defeat as she realizes she doesn't have anywhere else to go

"What about Ava?"

"She doesn't know he's abusive"

"Oh" How does Ava not know? Don't they share like everything with each other? "We have a guest room" Her head snapped in my direction. I think I see the tiniest sliver of hope in her eyes. "I mean it's not anything special but i'm sure my mom would let you crash there till you figure things out"

"That should work." She smiles and looks out the window for the rest of the ride.

When we got home I showed Payton where the guest room is and then I went to find my mom to make sure this was okay.

"Hey ma, I got a question"

"What's up"

"My friend needs a place to stay and I offered her the guest room. Is that okay?"

"She?"

"Payton"

"It's fine but if I find her in your room you're dead."

"Yes ma'am"

I went back upstairs to get Payton some clothes because I realized she doesn't have an extra pair with her. I grab the smallest pair of sweatpants I can find and just a normal shirt for her to wear.

I walk into the guest room and give her the clothes. She is just on her phone scrolling through instagram. "I got you some clothes to change into if you want."

"Oh, thanks Matti" She smiled up at me and grabbed the clothes out of my hand.

"Goodnight Payton"

"Goodnight Matthew" And with that she gave me one last smile and closed the door to change.

I love her smile.

___

Hey shawties baes