14.

was going to wait with posting this but i'm so excited about this chapter <3

enjoy 10K words in harry's pov xx

______

Harry.

"So when are you getting back?" I asked Blair on the phone. I was just getting out of the car, shooting a short wave at the driver before I jogged up to the front door of the house. With my briefcase in hand, I fumbled with the lock.

Blair's end of the line was busy, lots of chattering in the background, "Wait, sorry – what? Someone just came up to me, I didn't hear what you said."

I rolled my eyes with a sigh, "I asked when you're getting back."

"Probably tomorrow. How's Sloane?"

My stomach knotted a bit at the unexpected question. I ran a nervous hand through my hair as panic sunk in, "Uh, good, I suppose. How should I know?" I asked almost instantly in defence.

Blair let out a soft chuckle, "I don't know." She sounded breezy but I immediately felt caught. Even if I hadn't done anything. All I did was spend some time with Sloane in my office as she helped me through the deadline. We had tea and exchanged numbers and that's it. I hadn't even heard from her, I hadn't had the guts yet to text her.

When watching that – disappointing – giraffe documentary last night, I had felt the urge to but didn't. It would get a ball rolling. And I didn't know if I wanted that ball to be rolling anywhere. What if it gained speed and got out of control and then we couldn't stop that ball or it changed courses on its own and crashed into something, breaking everything?

Nope, that ball was still. Steady. And right here in my court.

It was a Wednesday, two days after seeing Sloane at work, and I had finished yet another night at the office. Blair was still in Birmingham for some reason and I called her to know when she planned on getting back. I wasn't sure why I felt the need to call her. Maybe because I was thinking of cheating but for all I knew, she actually was. In Birmingham with whoever. I wouldn't put it past her.

I mean, she already cheated on me with Sloane – technically. I ran a hand through my hair in confusion, honestly unable to keep up with my own life at this point.

"I'll probably be back tomorrow. I'm going to text Sloane to come over then." Blair spoke. I frowned a little in hurt and exhaled a breath, "Maybe we could spend the evening together? Just the two of us?" I tried, nibbling on my lip. I couldn't believe that after three days of being apart, my wife still preferred hanging out with her escort than her own husband.

It was so clear that I was in no way a priority to Blair.

Blair was silent on the other end and I continued, "I could cook. And we could watch a movie and just be lazy together. It's been ages since we've done that, B."

She let out a breath, "I know." She mumbled, guilt present in her voice. It was one of those rare moments where Blair seemed to realize what she was putting me through. And it was moments like these that kept me going, for her. It was moments like these that gave me hope that she was still in there somewhere and we could be happy again, like we used to be years ago. She was still the girl I fell in love with.

"Maybe it could be nice." She added and I felt a small smile on my lips in relief, "Want me to pick you up from the airport? Like old times?"

She softly giggled and hummed, "I remember. You always brought flowers."

"I did." I agreed and Blair sighed, "Thanks though, I'll get the driver to pick me up. Driving to Heathrow at that time is always a hassle, you shouldn't."