26: Down In Flames

Tomoya clocked in for his shift at the Endeavor Hero Agency the day before the hero was set to arrive in Jaku City for the hospital raid. He was arriving at the office to do some paperwork in just a few minutes. 

That's when the fire alarms went off. The tampered with fire alarms. No emergency responders were arriving on scene. 

Tomoya and the rest of the medical staff were evacuated, alongside the sidekicks. It wasn't unusual to have fires at their agency, for obvious reasons. The acting head hero manager gave everyone the day off and emailed Endeavor not to come in. 

Todoroki Enji would not be receiving that text or any others ever again. 

He made his way into the office, completely unsuspecting. 

Meanwhile Tomoya sat down at a café to get coffee with Dr. Kato and Nurse Ishida. They were having a great time. Both were quite fond of their new coworker. They had assumed he would faint at the sight of blood, but he had proved himself a valuable asset to the team with his quick response times and encyclopedic knowledge of bone fractures. 

Enji opened the door to the agency. He was shocked at how quiet it was. As he inspected the place more, he realized no one was there. 

Furrowing his brow, he checked his phone. No emails or texts. Everyone should be at work. He texted Sumi, the head hero coordinator, but it was no use. The jamming device in the building was too well concealed, too convincing. It looked like Sumi read it right away, when in reality it never sent. 

Was he intruding on someone's surprise party or something? The thought alone made him angrier. There was no slacking off at his agency. 

"Anyone in here better get out now!" He shouted gruffly into the office. No response. 

He waited a moment or so to see if anyone was just waiting it out to be polite. "If anyone in here right now remains silent knowingly, they will be fired!". 

Still no response. 

His flames burning a little brighter, Enji checked his office. Maybe this was a prank Shoto had pulled. That's right. This was a fun little father-son moment. Shoto's little friends were probably recording him right now. 

He opened the doors to his office and was suddenly very uncomfortable. There was a noise...like shuffling? Coming from the desk. 

Being a pro hero, he wasn't scared in the slightest. He ignited his flames a little more and marched up to the chair. It was facing away from him, so in one swift motion he took the final step forwards and spun the chair around. 

Shock. That was what he felt when he saw one of his interns in the chair. What the fuck was going on? Who did this? Was this a prank?

Their tearstained face and duct taped mouth said no. 

"What is the meaning of this?" The hero demanded, ripping the tape off immediately. The boy sobbed a little the moment he was free. That only served to make the hero more upset. He wasn't answering a single question! 

"Good morning Enji.". 

Endeavor spun around at the sudden noise, fists ablaze. 

"Woah, no need to get touchy.". Dabi dropped down from the ceiling, a smirk on his face. "I just wanted to see your face.". 

"What is this about? Is the League coming back?!" The hero roared, "How dare you hurt so many innocent people-". 

"Ah ah ah Enji. No hypocrisy." Dabi teased. "You hurt innocent people, don't you? Your wife, you're children, its sad honestly. Don't lecture me about it.".