Chapter 11

The next morning

Penelope drives down to the BAU. Kai and Penelope go up to the BAU office. Once they get in there, Kai spots Emily and goes over to her.

"Hey Emily." Kai smiles.
Emily turns around and smiles too.
"Hey sweetheart." Emily gets up and pulls Kai into an embrace, she slightly lifted Kai off the ground.

"How was your night with Penelope?" Emily asks while  stroking Kai's hair.
"It was good, but I missed you."
"I'm sorry I wasn't there, I will make it up tonight. We can hangout together." Emily suggested.
"That would be fun."
"Let me finish these few files, then we will go home." Emily sits back down and works.

1 hour later

Emily finishes up her files. She goes to JJ's office to go get Kai. But before she got there, Penelope stopped her.

"Hey Em. We need to talk real quick." Penelope says.
"Ok." Penelope brings her into her office.

"So, last night I went out to the kitchen for water at 3:00 am. Kai was laying on the couch, so I decided to check on her. She didn't seem asleep. I asked her if she was awake. Kai ignored me, but I knew she was awake. I also asked her if she slept at all. She said no. I asked if it was because you weren't there. Kai said she didn't know." Penelope quickly explains.
"Ok. I will talk to her tonight. Thanks for telling me." Emily leaves and goes to get Kai.

They both go out to the car.
"What should we do when we get home?" Emily asks.
"Can we just hangout in your room?" Kai asks.
"Sure."

They finally get to the apartment. Emily and Kai go into Emily's room. Emily sits up against the backboard of her bed. Kai snuggles into Emily's side. Emily places her arm around Kai.

"So, Penelope told me about how you weren't sleeping. She thinks it's because I wasn't there. Is that true?" Emily asks.
Kai just nods her head.
"You know you can talk to me." Emily encourages Kai to talk.

"I thought I would be fine without you being here, but apparently I'm not." Kai starts to tear up.
"It's ok that you weren't ready. I can take more time off of work."

"I don't wanna burden you." Kai continues to cry.
"You are not burdening me. Look at me." Kai sits up and looks at Emily while she grabs Kai's hands.
"I would do anything in the world to make you feel loved and safe. I don't want you to be miserable while I'm away on a case. I would sit here and hug you all day if that's what you want. I love you Kai. You're always gonna come first."
"I love you too."

Kai snuggles back into Emily's side and Emily holds her like she's the only person in the world. Kai hugs Emily back.

They finally let go after awhile. They settle back down and fall asleep.

The next morning

Kai wakes up next to Emily. She moves in closer to Emily. Emily shifts awake when she feels Kai move.
"Good morning." Emily whispered.
"Good morning." Kai whispered back.

Emily wraps her other arm around Kai.
"Are you ok?" Emily asks.
"Yeah." Kai mutters.
Emily kisses Kai's head.
"I'm gonna call Hotch and ask for a break today." Emily informs Kai.
"You don't have to. You can go back to work."
"No, I want to stay home for awhile and spend time with you." Emily insists.
"Ok."

Emily gets up and calls Hotch.
"Hey Hotch."
"Is everything ok?"
"Yeah, I was just wondering if I could take a few days off. Kai isn't doing too well. She freaked out at Penelope's when I wasn't there. I just want her to be ok."
"It's ok Emily. I understand. Stay home."
"Thank you."
"You're welcome." Hotch hangs up.

Emily goes back to her room.
"He agreed to let me stay home."
"Ok."
"Let's go make some breakfast."
"Ok."

They both go downstairs and make breakfast together. They eat and go hangout on the couch. Kai suggests that they continue to read the book they started reading together.