one

Carson Everdeen's POV

I smiled once I saw my mother's light blue Toyota Corolla in the pick up line for school.

"Hey, mom," I smiled and got in her car, the smell of smoke clearly evident in the air.

"Hey, baby,," she smiled back and begin to pull out of the line once I was in the car.

"Did you smoke without me?" I groaned.

"Yeah sorry baby, but there's some at the house still. Ralph should be coming with more either tonight or tomorrow too."

I nodded my head and grab the pack of cigarettes that sat in the cup holder along with my mom's lighter, pulling one out and lighting it then inhaling the smoke.

Oddly enough this was a way my mom and I bonded.. I mean I was only sixteen years of age but my mom and I smoked and drank together. She always said that I couldn't tell anyone that we did it together considering she'd get in so much trouble, so I never did.

Hey I enjoyed it.

As for my dad.. he was completely out of the picture which I guess I didn't mind. He worked in Los Angeles as some kind of hot shot doctor or surgeon, I wasn't really sure which one and frankly I didn't care. Apparently he left my mother when she was pregnant with me- therefore I didn't want a part of him anyways.

I was perfectly fine with just myself and mother- and occasionally Ralph who was her boyfriend but mostly just bought the goods for us.

I coughed like I usually did after the first inhalation of a cigarette, my mom said it would get better with time but so far it hasn't.

"Hannah and Mason want to hang out too sometime," I commented and took another drag.

"Oh yeah? What would you guys be doing?"

"Probably just smoke in my room or something." It was what we always did whenever the three of us hung out as friends, so my mom usually didn't care, or so I thought.

"Carson, baby. Maybe you should slow it down with the smoking and stuff for a bit, okay?"

"Why? We always do this mom." I was confused, why would she just want to stop so suddenly.

"Sweetheart.. the courts have been in contact with me. Your father is working on getting joint custody."

..