Fourteen

(not proofread)

..

*one week later*

It is 4:30 in the morning and I had just finished packing the majority of my things up. Luke had stated that I didn't need to bring much since he'd buy me whatever I needed, but since I already know this isn't gonna work out I'd rather not spend his money.

Unless it was to buy myself weed and alcohol then maybe it'd be okay.

My mom had graciously and unbeknownst to me allowed Luke to stay the night on our couch, as opposed to him having to pay for another night at his hotel.

I wasn't too fond or happy about the situation, but I guess it made sense since we were leaving for the airport in the middle of the night, and paying for a hotel again would probably just be a waste of money.

"Carson?" I heard my mother's voice followed by a couple of knocks on my door.

"Yeah, come in."

My mom opened the door and walked in, immediately starting to cough. "Carson. Did you smoke?!"

"Yeah." I had decided that I needed to smoke a joint while packing and it seemed to help calm me down.

"Carson" she groaned and ran her fingers through her hair. "You were fucking clean for almost a week. What happened?!"

"You're shipping off to fucking America what my father I never met! That's what happened."

"You're high, Carson. Your father is certainly going to notice those bright red eyes."

"I'll just tell him it's allergy season."

"Carson, you can never tell him that I got you hooked on all this. It'll ruin me."

"Relax, Mom. He'll never find out."

..

"You didn't bring drugs or alcohol with you, did you?" Luke asked during our drive to the airport.

"No, I'm not stupid." Although to be honest I had thought about trying to sneak it on the plane but decided last minute against it.

"Never said you were. It's just that those things aren't allowed at the airport and I wouldn't want you getting in trouble with security."

I nodded and chose not to speak for the remainder of the ride unless I was spoken to. This was already going to be a long and exhausting flight as it was, and now I had to sit next to someone I had no desire to even be near.

Thank god I remembered to pack my Xanax though. I knew it would help tremendously I'm sure.

I didn't have a prescription for it, which I didn't think would be much of a problem. My mom had introduced me to them nearly six months ago when she brought them home after buying them from some guy.

I liked how they made me feel although they did give me some crazy side effects such as dizziness and sometimes gave me terrible headaches.

Sometimes I felt like the pills weren't even helping anymore and were getting to the point where I wanted to take more than one, but maybe that wasn't such a great idea.

"Are you excited to go to Los Angeles?" My father asked after minutes of silence.

Why did he intend on continuing a conversation with me?!

"Not really, but I seem to not have a choice in that."

"Carson, I'm sorry. But I want to try and build a relationship with you, I already told you that if I knew you were my kid then I would've-"

"Save it," I cut him off. "I'm only doing this because I seem to have no other choice. I don't want a relationship with you. Ever."

No words were spoken after I said that and thank god the rest of the drive stayed silent.

After Luke returned his rental car, he checked us and our bags in then we went through security which I was trying not to freak the fuck out about.

Once we had boarded and departed on the plane, I decided that no matter how bad it would be taking it in front of Luke; I needed to take my Xanax.

"What did you just take?" Luke inquired seconds after I had swallowed my Xanax.

"What?"

"That pill. What did you just swallow?"

"It's an over-the-counter pain reliever."

"That does not look like it."

"Well, it is. Not everything is drugs, Mr. Doctor."

Shit. Why did I fucking say that? Surely that's going to make him more suspicious. Was he going to say something?

But of course, he had to continue speaking to me.

"I didn't say anything about drugs, Carson. But now I'm wondering if there's something I need to be concerned about."

Fuck. Why did I have to open my mouth?