Twenty-one

(as promised)
(not proofread)

..

I watched Michael click around and type on the computer before focusing on it, making me roll my eyes about how serious they were about this whole checkup thing.

My mom had graciously agreed to send over my medical records from Australia to Luke. I knew there was probably stuff in there that neither of them would be too happy about, but did I care? No.

"Wait, you were hospitalized for an asthma attack when you were nine?" I heard Michael ask.

"Yeah."

"And you smoke?"

"Yes."

My father groaned loudly, and I looked over to see him shaking his head. "Carson, are you for fucking real?"

"Oh, you can swear, but I can't."

"That's not the point," he sighed. "This is serious, Carson. You can't be fucking smoking when you have asthma; you shouldn't be smoking, period."

"It relaxes me."

"There are plenty of other ways to relax healthily that don't involve damaging your body."

I looked down and felt my eyes getting watery. I didn't understand why they were being this way, so against everything I did,

I get it. They were doctors, and drugs are bad, and blah blah blah, but I couldn't help myself anymore, and they, especially Luke, were starting to drive me to do these things.

But I wasn't lying when I said it helped me relax.

"Whatever."

"What's your medical history? It's pretty blank on your file." Michael asked and turned around to look at me.

Huh?

"My what?"

"Your medical history? Any history of heart disease, kidney disease, you know, general stuff like that."

"I don't know."

"Well, when's the last time you had a checkup?" He turned back to the computer. "I didn't see a date on your records either."

"I don't know; probably the same year I went to the hospital."

"That's six years, Carson." My father spoke and shook his head. He was upset. "You're supposed to get one every year."

I rolled my eyes. They were so fucking dramatic. "It's not that big of a deal."

I didn't understand why they were so upset about this ordeal. So I missed a few doctor's appointments; it's not like there's anything they could do about it since it's in the past.

At one point in my life, my mom actually cared about my health and brought me to the doctor regularly, but somewhere along the line she gave up, and I just kind of accepted that.

She had always stated that Luke left to focus on his medical career in America, leaving her when she was pregnant with me. Maybe that's why she stopped taking me to doctor's appointments.

But then again, a lot of stuff changed when she started dating Ralph, and come to think of it, that was also six years ago.

"Okay." Michael stood up and walked over to the sink in the room, turning the tap on and washing his hands, followed by putting on a pair of gloves. "We're just going to do a blood draw first."

"Wait, a blood draw?"

"Yes."

"What's that?" Truly, I was dumbfounded, but that's what happens when you haven't been to the doctor in six years.

"Um, we just draw some blood from you, and typically we test it for vitamin deficiencies, underlying health conditions, and stuff like that. Your blood can tell us a lot."

"Is that like a drug test?"

"No, why? Is that something we need to be concerned about?" Michael raised his eyebrows and put the tray down next to me.

"No, I don't think so." I smiled awkwardly, hoping they wouldn't notice. "You took it away from me, so..."

"For good reason, Carson," my dad said, making me roll my eyes.

I was sick and tired of them saying they took me off the drugs for a good reason because it was surely no fucking help at all. Little do they know I got back on them for a damn good reason.

Speaking of, I could feel the Xanax start to kick in, and I just hoped I could give myself enough power to hide it so they wouldn't notice.

"Maybe we should do a drug test," my dad said, and for the first time since entering the room, he walked away from blocking the door.

"No, we shouldn't. There's nothing to be concerned about."

"Good. If there's nothing to worry about, then this checkup should be nice and easy."