Thirty

(not a doctor so please don't come at me if things are wrong)
(not proofread)

..

Calum's pov

I was in the emergency room writing up a report after I had been called to consult on an emergency psychiatric patient. We had all sent Luke home to get some much-needed rest; he had been here every day since the overdose and pretty much refused to leave her side for anything.

So we sent him home, and he hesitantly agreed finally—not that he had much of a choice regardless.

It was difficult for Michael, Ashton, and myself to see our friend go through such extreme stress and pressure with Carson, not only with the overdose but with the custody battle between himself and Tiffany.

Things were finally starting to turn around for the pair, especially since Carson opened up about Tiffany's abuse, which had essentially landed her in jail. We weren't sure if Ralph, Tiffany's boyfriend, was involved in any way, but at the current moment, we weren't too worried about him.

I was about halfway through writing my patient report when I heard a loud commotion coming down the hall near the ambulance bay.

From the sounds of things, it sounded like a trauma; however, since psychiatry was my primary specialty, I tended to stay out of their way unless needed.

However, that didn't mean I wasn't intrigued by the conversation about the events that were transpiring.

It sounded like whoever it was, they were potentially bleeding a lot, and I just hoped they'd be okay.

"GSW. Shit, fuck, IT'S HEMMINGS!"

No fucking way.

I jumped out of my seat and rushed my way over to the trauma room, where I heard the commotion coming from. My breathing was erratic, with my hands shaking and tears gathering in my eyes.

I was on the verge of a panic attack, no doubt.

No, this couldn't be our Luke.

My mind wanted to believe that maybe this was a different Hemmings, yet then why would the nurses know exactly who it was?

The more I thought about it, the more my hopes diminished, and I quickly concluded that this was our Luke.

"Luke!" I rushed in to find him lying on the hospital bed, groaning. His hands were pressed onto his abdominal area and covered in his blood.

"Ashton?" He turned his head to look over at me.

"No, it's Calum. What the hell happened?"

"He fucking shot me. Please, go get Ash, or I'll just take the bullet out myself."

It was great to see that Luke had some humor in him still, even when he was losing blood from a gunshot wound.

But I was still worried about how this would all play out, especially for Luke.

He needed to survive.

Yet I was also confused as to Luke's statement about the shooting.

"Who's 'he'?" I asked.

"He did it," Luke cried. "It was that Ralph guy."

Tiffany's boyfriend.

"What?!" I exclaimed and took a chance to look him over. I wasn't a medical doctor, but he looked like he was in bad shape. "Why'd he shoot you? What'd he want with you?"

"I don't know... something about how I took Carson from them and ruined their lives, so I had to pay for it."

"Oh my god."

"Please, Cal. Go get Ash before I bleed out and die."

I wasn't sure if he was being overly dramatic or serious, but I decided that I shouldn't and couldn't wait any longer.

So with that, I headed out to Carson's room, where I knew Ashton would be. Albeit, I did feel a bit bad leaving Luke; I know he was in excellent hands with the ER team.

I tried to ignore it, but I could feel my breathing start to become labored, which was probably a result of my panicked state after seeing Luke that way.

So with that, I burst into the room where Carson and Ashton were sitting together, watching reruns on the television. "Ash!" I gasped, trying to catch my breath. I gestured my head towards the doorway, indicating that I wanted to speak to him outside. "They need you in the ER now."

"Okay.." Ashton stood up and followed me out of the room, looking confused. He grabbed his pager to see if any of the nurses had paged him. "You sure, Cal? I've got no pages."

"Yes, I'm sure." I shut the door and then looked up to meet Ashton's still confused face, but I couldn't help the tears that escaped my eyes.

"What is going on with you, Cal? You're jumpy and crying. Are you good?"

"Luke was shot," I blurted out without hesitation. "You need to go downstairs now."

I saw the panic flash through Ashton's eyes, and he immediately booked it towards the stairs, with myself following. He rushed down them at record speed and miraculously soon swiped his badge to open the doors leading into the ER.

"Where is he?"

"He's in trauma room 2." Ashton didn't wait for me to finish his sentence before he again took off running.

"Luke!"

Ashton rushed into the trauma room, where there were more doctors and nurses than when I left to find Ash. Thankfully, Luke still seemed to be holding stable and was still awake, which was a surprise to me; yet again, I was a psychiatrist.

"Ashton!" Luke cried. His hands, which were once applying pressure to his abdomen, had now been replaced by another doctor doing their best to apply pressure to the wound. But the

Blood still lingered on Luke's arms and hands.

"Luke," Ashton equally cried back, grabbing a pair of gloves from the wall and slipping them on, then rushing to the younger cardio surgeon's bedside. "What the fuck happened?"

"He was shot by Tiffany's boyfriend," I spoke for Luke, seeing how much pain he was in. His vitals still seemed to be within a normal range.

"Okay." Ashton took charge after being caught up to speed by one of the nurses. "Let's get him some pain medication if we haven't already; then we need to immediately follow up with an abdominal CT scan. I need to make sure there's no internal bleeding."

"Yes, Dr. Irwin."

Please, Luke.

Please just be okay.