Thirteen

(not proofread)

..

I stayed out pretty much late into the night, long enough for Luke to be hopefully gone and my mom to be either asleep or out with Ralph.

I had smoked all three cigarettes that I had with me while I was out, but I was still craving more or maybe some vodka.

When I did arrive home I was shocked to find that the light in the living room was still on and there was an unknown car parked in front of our house. It was however dark out so I just assumed it to be Ralph's.

The front door was also surprisingly unlocked when I went to open it, but I wasn't too concerned. Mom knew that I rarely carried my key with me and left it unlocked most of the time.

"Hey, mom?" I called after I had stepped inside, kicking off my black spiked combat boots at the door.

"We're up here, honey."

Thank god she was still awake.

I made my way up the stairs towards the living room where I now knew they were.

"Hey, can I have the vodka, please? I also need more cig-" I stopped mid-sentence when I saw who else was sitting in the living room with Mom and Ralph.

My father.

Luke fucking Hemmings.

Not only was he here in my own house, but he seemed all cozied up on the couch across from Mom and Ralph, holding a cup of tea in his hands.

Why in the hell was my mother fraternizing with the enemy?!

"Are you asking for vodka?" My father raised his eyebrows. "You're not old enough to drink."

"It's 18 in Australia." I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah I know, I grew up here too. But you're 15, Carson, so exactly my point is you're not old enough to drink."

"This doesn't concern you."

"I think it does actually."

"No, it fucking doesn't."

"Carson, can I please speak to you down the hall for a minute please?" My mother asked and stood up from her seat, walking down the hallway towards the bedrooms.

"Okay." I shrugged and followed her down the hallway where she pulled me into her bedroom. "Ow, what!"

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" She whispered.

"What?"

"I asked what the hell you think you're doing."

"Mom, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"I'm talking about you mentioning vodka and cigarettes in front of your father."

"I didn't know he was going to be here." I rolled my eyes. Was she for real right now? "Besides, what the hell are you fucking defending him for?"

"Carson, I told you that I wanted you off the drugs and shit before your father came here."

"And I don't want to live with my asshole father in America for 3 months."

"Carson, this is serious."

"Oh please," I laughed. "What's the worst he could do? Take my cigs away? I don't care, I'm sure there are dealers in America that could get me some."

"He's a fucking doctor, for Christ's sake. He must report any abuse, Carson."

"I don't think this constitutes abuse?"

"Then neglect. It's something because supplying drugs and alcohol to your minor child isn't ideal."

I rolled my eyes for probably the twentieth time today. She was acting fucking ridiculous. There was no way Luke was going to do or say anything about this, it wasn't his place to comment on.

Well, I guess it technically was, but I was determined to make sure nothing happened.

"Relax, Mom. He's probably not even going to care that I smoke and drink."