Six

My hands were shaking and I could feel my heart rate increase.

Standing in front of me was the person I recently learned was my father.

Luke Hemmings.

How? How did he know where we lived? How did he even get our address?! Was he stalking us?

My mind was racing with all these thoughts and I could feel my chest becoming tighter, gasping for air.

"Carson," I heard my father repeat, making me look up at him. "Are you okay?"

"I... I uh um yeah... I'm fine I think." I stammered and shook my head confused.

Why was he here? Did my mother know about this? Was she the one who gave him our address? No that couldn't be she hated him.

"M-mom? I think there's um... um someone at the door for you," I stammered, my voice unsteady throughout the entire thing.

I blinked my eyes suddenly feeling dizzy and lightheaded due to the stress and shock of my father at my doorstep. I stumbled around for a minute from the dizziness, then accidentally slightly bumped into the wall next to me.

"Carson?" I heard my Dad ask, who was still standing outside, not wanting to just basically invite himself in.

"I'm... I'm fine." My hands were shaking so bad. I needed a smoke.

"Carson.."

And of course, at that moment my mother chose to waltz in, just as shocked as I was.

"Oh... Luke, I wasn't expecting you now."

"What? Expecting him now? How about not expecting him at all?" I didn't care if my comments sounded blunt. I did not under any circumstances want this man in my life.

"Carson, you do know that he is going for joint custody right? Well, you are going to have to go on visits with him at some point, darling." My mom explained and turned to my father, who was still standing there awkwardly with his suitcase and carry-on bag. "Please come in, Luke."

"Thank you," My father smiled and stepped inside with his bags.

This allowed me to get a good view of him, much better quality than what I saw on my laptop.

He was much taller than I thought, but the blonde curls and blue eyes like mine remained the same. He wore a pair of dark blue dress pants with a white t-shirt that had a couple of rips in it and some writing, along with converse shoes, and a pair of glasses.

I thought he was a rich fancy doctor...

My mother was now acting all chivalrous, inviting Luke to sit in our living room and asking if he wanted anything to drink. I was confused considering she's never really done this for any other guest before, not even Ralph whom she's been dating for quite some time.

Wasn't this the man that left us?