Twenty

(not proofread)

..

Carson's pov:

It's been two days since Luke had that conversation with me.

There was a part of me that did feel bad about taking the Xanax and betraying his trust. But I needed them. Taking me off of them was not helping at all.

I did make sure that after I took them, I hid them somewhere from Luke and his friends, not knowing if they'd invade my privacy enough to come in here and search.

"Carson?" Luke called from downstairs. "Can you come down, please? We're going to be late."

Well, this was a shock to me.

I hopped out of bed and walked downstairs, seeing Luke dressed in his scrubs.

"Are you going to work?"

"Yes, well, we are."

"We?"

"Yes, you are coming to work with me."

I'm confused. Why was he asking me this when he let me stay home yesterday?

"You let me stay home by myself yesterday." I groaned. "What changed?"

"I'd much prefer it if you were to come with me today."

Shit. Did he find out I was taking pills again?

He couldn't have; I thought I had done a great job at hiding it.

"Are you sure I can't just stay here? I'm not feeling very well," I fakely coughed.

"If you're not feeling very well, then the hospital is probably the best place for you to be. Come on, we're already late, Carson." He opened the door for me, and I knew I wasn't fucking getting out of this, so I had no choice but to follow him out to his car.

I was grateful that he chose not to speak during the ride since I was already pissed that I had to go. Once we got there, I followed him inside.

"I thought you had to work?" I asked when I saw we were going in the opposite direction of his office.

"I do."

"Then shouldn't you be going to clock in? I'm pretty sure it's the opposite way."

"I will later," he smiled and gently nudged me along.

I had no fucking clue where he was going, but the pit in my stomach told me I wasn't going to like it.

"Can I at least go to your office?"

"Not right now, please. Just come on, Carson."

He took us down a hallway with lots of rooms, and I still had no idea where we were, but he seemed to know exactly.

I could hear the sounds of upset children, and I had to admit that it was making my ears and head hurt.

Where the fuck were we going?

We stopped in front of a door that I noticed had some sort of signage outside of it, but Luke was blocking it, so I couldn't see what he said.

"Come on, Carson." He held the door open for me.

I walked in and immediately saw Michael sitting down on a chair by a computer. A fucking exam room.

Everything clicked.

"Have a seat, please." Michael smiled and pointed to the bed in the room.

"No." I turned around to leave, but Luke had shut the door and was now standing in front of it. "You can't fucking force me to do this! Move, Luke."

"Carson, we need to do this. Please do not argue with me."

"This is fucking bullshit!" I was fucking furious.

How dare they both think they can do this to me?!

"Carson, we all just want you healthy and safe. A checkup is nothing to stress about; it'll only take a half hour to forty-five minutes to do. It's easy," Luke explained, but I wasn't having it.

"Then you do it if it's so easy."

"Carson please."

I shook my head and turned around, my hands shaking, and I couldn't tell if it was a side effect of the Xanax or how upset I was.

"You lied to me, Luke. You said you have to work, not that I had a doctor's appointment."

"Carson, it was the only way I could get you here. Would you have honestly come with me if I told you that you had a physical with Michael?"

"Well no..."

"Exactly. Let's just get this over with, and then you can hang out in my office afterward. We can get ice cream or dinner later on."

"Fuck your ice cream."

"Carson, have a seat, please. And stop swearing."

No matter what, I knew that I wasn't fucking getting out of this, so I stomped my way over to the bed and sat down.

This was fucking bullshit.

But I don't think this meant I had to cooperate with them.