Seven

I needed a fucking cigarette. My head felt like it was going to explode and I could not stand here while my mother fakes niceness with the man who left us.

"I'm gonna go Hannah's probably almost here by now." I stood up awkwardly and begin to shuffle my way towards the front door. I was leaving regardless of if she was here or not.

"Carson? Don't you think you should stay here and be with your father who just flew in from America?" My mother questioned, giving me one of her warning stares, daring me to leave.

"Hmm let me think.. nope. Bye, mom."

"Carson," she warned again.

"Mom, please," I begged.

My father surprisingly chose to speak up during this, in support of me. "Let her go with her friends. It's okay, I'm here until Sunday."

Sunday? That was a whole fucking week away? I had to put up with him until Sunday, and to top it all off my mom expected me not to smoke or drink.

Yeah, fat chance of that.

But I was shocked that he was letting me leave instead of wanting me to stay so we could bond or whatever.

"Oh um... thank you that's nice," I smiled.

He smiled back at me. "It's the least I could do after all that studying your mom has you do. Your mom's lawyer told mine about it."

Studying? What fucking lies was this woman feeding him? I mean seriously.

I didn't do any studying, I was barely getting passing grades as it was. My mom didn't encourage any studying whatsoever since she didn't want me to turn out like my dad. The most she said was for me to do my homework every few days or so.

"Oh, yeah right.. yup all that studying." I chuckled awkwardly and grab my bag, fixing my dress once I stood up. "Um... I'm staying at Hannah's tonight, you know that right?"

"Sweetheart, maybe you should stay home tonight with Luke being here. I think you, Ralph, and myself have a lot to talk about now."

"Ralph?" My father raised his eyebrows.

"Yeah, he's mom's boyfriend. I'm sure you two will get along just fine." I smirked, not knowing how my father was but knowing exactly how Ralph acted. Now that would be interesting