Seventeen

(not proofread/i wanted to update for you guys before work)

..

It was now two days following my arrival to America and I was stuck inside Luke's office at the hospital, today being his first day back.

I had wanted to desperately stay at his house by myself, but, since I was instead here, Luke didn't allow that.

He claimed that the withdrawal process for Xanax could be a tough one to go through and he didn't want me to be alone for that. He wanted to monitor me or some shit like that.

Yet, he wasn't even in the room with me so I don't understand why I couldn't stay at his house by myself.

More than likely he didn't trust me.

Calum, Luke's friend, was a psychiatrist and had prescribed me Xanax with a lower dosage to try and taper me off of it as opposed to me just quitting cold turkey.

Luke had blabbed on for about twenty minutes on how dangerous it was to quit benzodiazepines, such as Xanax, and cold turkey.

Quite honestly, I tuned him out.

He also now had the medication in a locked cabinet that only he and his friends had access to. It was so fucking ridiculous.

I didn't feel any different than when I was on the Xanax.

I was still trying to find a way I could get more pills after Luke rudely threw mine away and set me up to speak to Calum.

But now I sat alone in his office at his work.

Soon enough, there was a knock on the door of Luke's office, and in walked a guy I hadn't recognized. Was this how things were in America? Are people just walking into random rooms they don't belong in?

"Um, excuse me? Who are you?"

The man was also in scrubs but a different color than Luke's or his friends, but he did wave politely. "Me? I'm Jonathan, one of Dr. Hemmings' interns. He asked me to check on you while he's stuck in surgery."

"Oh, I'm fine."

"Okay, there's nothing you need?"

"No..." Wait a minute Carson. This was your chance. This intern guy could get you the right pills. "Maybe you could get something for me?"

"Yes, of course. Anything you need."

"I need some Xanax pills."

To say the least, Jonathan was shocked and probably wasn't expecting that answer. "Do you have a prescription? You can get it filled at the pharmacy here."

"No, I'm asking you to get it for me."

"I can't just do that! I'll get in serious trouble and lose my job, probably even my medical license. Besides, Xanax is an addictive medication to be on."

"I'll give you 50 bucks if you do it."

"What? You can't bribe me," he laughed and turned to walk out the door.

"$100. Take it or leave it." I took the 50 dollars out of my pocket that I had managed to steal from Luke's wallet today when he left it in his office, and combined it with the extra money that I had of my own.

I watched Jackson, I think that's his name, internally struggle for a minute before ultimately he nodded and walked out of the room. Moments later he returned with a box of Xanax pills.

"Pleasure doing business with you, Jonah." I smiled and accepted the pills, placing the 100 dollars in his awaiting hand. I was about to open the box when I noticed Jonathan still lingering around. "Can I help you?"

"No, it's just... Dr. Hemmings mentioned something about his daughter Carson. Are you her?"

"No," I scoffed and laughed awkwardly. "Thank god I'm not her. Now you've got your 100 dollars so go away."

Once Jonathan had thankfully left the room, I opened the box of pills and took one. Then, immediately removed the package from the box and placed it down my hoodie and into my sports bra. It wouldn't be comfortable but I could live with it if it meant I got my Xanax back.

I made sure to hide the empty box in some fake plant that Luke had in the room.

At least hopefully I'll be able to sleep.

..

"Carson." I awoke to Luke's voice and the feeling of someone shaking my shoulder. "Christ, I've been calling your name for nearly two minutes."

"Oh, sorry."

He sighed and sat down on the chair in front of me with a hand placed on his chest. "Nearly gave me a heart attack again."

"Again?"

"Yeah, I couldn't wake you up on the plane when we arrived. I didn't even know if you still had a pulse at first, god, I was so fucking scared."

What the fuck was I supposed to say to that?

"Oh.. um, that's nice... I mean sorry."

Luke gave me a look, but ultimately he decided to not say anything and walked over to his desk. "Why don't we go down to the cafeteria together? I'm sure you're hungry. I know I am."

"You don't have to do this. Be nice and shit."

"Carson, come on. I am responsible for you and you need to eat," he grabbed his wallet from his work bag and ushered me to the door with him.

I wondered if I should tell him that I had taken the money and bribed an intern to get me pills.

No, that would be fucking stupid. I'll just play dumb about it if he asks me.

Once we got down to the cafeteria and picked the food that we wanted, myself having no choice since Luke was pretty persistent, Luke grabbed his wallet to go pay.

"Huh, that's weird."

"What?"

"I could've sworn I had cash in here. I put it in this morning, at least 50 dollars."

"Oh yeah," I laughed awkwardly. "I, uh haven't seen it. That's weird, yeah..."

Luke just shook his head and instead pulled out a credit card, paying for both our meals.

Maybe I actually could get away
with this.