Twenty-six

(a breakthrough.)
(not proofread/not a medical professional)

..

Three days later:

It's been a mere three days since Carson was brought into the emergency department following her overdose. Ashton and his team had successfully pumped her stomach out to remove the toxins that caused her to overdose. He had also gotten her a bed in the ICU for closer monitoring, which I wasn't opposed to per se; I was just upset that she was in the ICU.

But I did want her to receive the best care possible.

She wasn't in a coma, thank God, but she didn't tend to stay awake for long enough to hold a conversation.

Per my lawyer's instructions, I had gotten in contact with Tiffany to inform her of what had happened. At first, she didn't seem all that worried about what happened, leading me to believe that she genuinely didn't care or that this may have happened before.

However, after much convincing and begging for me to pay for her plane ticket and hotel, she agreed to fly out.

Her plane had landed yesterday, but she claimed that she just wanted to sleep from the plane ride.

Personally, if I were in her position, I would have chosen to see our daughter, who is in the ICU, and sleep later, but hey, what did I know? I was only running on a shitton of caffeine and about 12 hours of sleep between the last few days, opting to not leave Carson's side except for essentials, of course.

"Hey, you're still here? Ash smiled when he walked into her room. He typically worked in the emergency department but had gotten himself to be the primary doctor for Carson while she was here, knowing full well I wouldn't trust anyone else despite them being my co-workers.

"Yeah, I don't want to leave her if I don't have to."

"Understandable. Is Tiffany coming to visit?"

"Honestly, I have no clue," I shrugged. "I would think she'd want to see her daughter, especially after she just overdosed and is now in the ICU."

Ash gave me a sympathetic smile in response. I could tell this whole situation had pained him as well; it had pained all of us.

Sure, none of us have known Carson for long—a month or so—but in the little time we have known her, we've all grown to love her despite all her best efforts to push us away.

After learning that Tiffany may have been the cause of Carson's drug addiction, I was surely trying my damn hardest to fight for full custody of Carson.

She deserved better than all the sh*t Tiffany had handed her.

There was a knock on the door, and in walked Tiffany with her boyfriend trailing behind her, or should I rather say that she stumbled in? I swear that I could smell the alcohol coming off of her.

"Where is she? She slurred and walked further into the room.

"She's right there. I pointed over to Carson and the bed she lay in. "Are you fucking drunk?

"Don't be fucking stupid, Luke."

"I'm not being stupid, but you cannot be here while drunk. Especially not near my daughter."

"Our daughter," she corrected.

"Any logical person wouldn't supply their daughter with drugs and then cause them to become addicted."

"That's not what happened," she retorted and rolled her eyes, stumbling over to the chair that I had previously sat in.

"No, it is what happened, Tiffany. I know I haven't been involved for most of her life, and if I knew about her beforehand, then I definitely would've, but finding out that my daughter is addicted to drugs because of their mother's doings is... I just don't have words for it."

"Stop fucking saying she's your daughter!"

"Okay, I think both of you need to calm down. Ashton stepped in. "None of this is going to help Carson when she wakes up, so you need to relax now and settle this later."

I groaned loudly and rolled my eyes, but I knew that he was right. We shouldn't be arguing, especially when Carson was in the ICU. Not only could it disturb her, but it also affected the other patients on this ward.

And quite frankly, I didn't feel like having hospital security call on me if I didn't shut up, which I knew Ash would do since he didn't fuck around when it came to his patient's care.

So with that, I was choosing to hopefully stay quiet and bite my tongue, waiting for Carson to wake again.
..

It had been just a little over 3 hours since Tiffany and her so-called boyfriend arrived. Personally, from the small encounters I had with him, I didn't like him. He was quite rude and seemed to be making comments about Carson, which I did not appreciate.

Carson had still yet to wake fully, and that was starting to worry me. Ashton didn't seem too worried, but I was fucking terrified. Her vital signs were great, and she showed no signs of being comatose, but she still wasn't conscious for more than a few minutes.

No doubt the overdose was very taxing on her body.

But in true Carson fashion, as if she knew I was talking and thinking about her, her eyes fluttered open, and I saw the bright blue eyes that were a product of my own.

"Hi, sweet girl. I smiled and felt tears gathering in my own eyes like they had been for the last few days.

"H-hi." Her voice was raspy, and I took it as a symptom of her barely speaking for the past few days. "What happened?"

I grabbed her hand and squeezed it, staring back into the eyes that were a direct copy. "You overdosed, honey. You took Xanax and alcohol, which should never be mixed together, and that resulted in an overdose."

I watched her bottom lip begin to quiver and her own eyes gathered with tears. It only took her next two words for me to pull her into an embrace, something we both needed after these events had transpired.

"I'm sorry," she cried.

"It's okay; you're okay. I held her face gently and saw through the facade she put on most of the time. I saw the brokenness and the tiredness.

She was just a kid.

I'm so sorry," she cried again, burying her head into my shoulder.

And in that moment, nothing mattered more than me and her holding each other.

Our breakthrough.