Thirty-two

(not proofread)

..

It was the following day, and Carson was finally being discharged from the hospital following her accidental overdose.

This was all happening without Luke, who still remained in the intensive care unit following the shooting incident with Ralph, Carson's stepfather, but despite things, he seemed to be doing okay.

Slowly but surely, he would get there.

Because he remained in the hospital, an emergency temporary placement had been granted to Ashton until Luke was well enough recovered.

There was also a court trial date set for Ralph and what he did to Luke in a form of retaliation, after Tiffany had been arrested and charged, then convicted of abuse.

Although it was highly unlikely that Luke would be able to withstand the trial, nor was it known if he'd be able and willing to testify yet.

"Good morning." Ashton smiled brightly when he walked into the room. Before he had been awarded the temporary placement, he had been the primary source of care during Carson's stay at the hospital.

"Hi," Carson said, giving a small smile back. Things felt bittersweet for her. Sure, she was glad she was leaving the hospital, but it was difficult to leave her dad alone. They would no longer be in the same place together, and she'd have to wait until he was stable and recovered enough to come home.

"Are you okay? You seem a little sad and down."

"Yeah.. I mean, I am happy to finally be able to go home, but it's just going to be weird without my dad there."

"I'm sure it will be, hun. But you've got myself, Calum, and Michael until your dad is back to himself. We'll take you to come visit him whenever you want to, okay?"

Carson nodded her head and wiped at her eyes, unwilling to let the tears fall. "I'd really like that, if it's possible."

"Of course it's possible, love. We're not just going to not let you see your dad. We'll take you with us every day if you want."

"Thank you; I appreciate that and will certainly take you up on the offer."

"Besides, you'll still have your sessions with Cal," Ashton smiled again.

Carson resisted the temptation to roll her eyes after that comment. She had nearly forgotten of the required sessions that she would now have with him following the overdose, even if it was accidental.

Despite Calum being a psychiatrist, however, he did have some background training in therapy and was thus able to give her some sessions and, of course, his support. He would also be able to prescribe or adjust any medications as necessary.

"Knock, knock," the sound of Michael's voice came from outside the door, soon enough allowing himself to walk in. "I come with gifts."

He held an outstretched duffle bag that contained some clothes for Carson to change into and some things to freshen up with.

"Ugh, I don't have to wear this hideous gown anymore."

"Oh, come on!" Ashton laughed. "They're not that bad."

"It's definitely not a fashion statement either, Ash," Carson giggled back.

"Yeah, yeah," Ashton rolled his eyes, but it was all in good fun.

It was crazy how quickly things had changed. If you had asked Carson a year ago, she would have stated that she despised Luke. Hell, probably even six months ago, she would've said the same exact thing.

Yet instead, here she now sat, wishing more than ever for Luke to recover well so that she could be with him. For Tiffany and Ralph to get what they deserve after putting her through all they had done—the abuse, the addiction, hurting Luke. all of it.

It was hard to say, especially given that Luke was injured because of it, but she believed that things happen for a reason.

And this reason just so happened to be that she truly was meant to be with the person who held the same exact eyes as her own.

Those damned blue eyes