Chapter Twenty One- Prom Night

Thursday and Friday morning and afternoon passed by in a whiz.

It was Friday night. Which was prom and to be honest, I was scared shitless.

"So just to be clear Hunter is just dropping you off?" Dad asked.

"Yes annoying person. Shouldn't you be getting ready? You are the principal after all," I answered.

"I am ready. I just want to make sure you are ok and you should really wear a jacket over that dress," Dad said.

"Yeah. Yeah," I said.

I turned to look at Dad.

"Do I look pretty good?" I asked.

"You look gorgeous. Just like your mother. God, it's crazy how you remind me of her. Same looks and mannerisms. Like that smile," Dad answered.

"I love you, Dad. I'm sorry about everything that's been happening," I said.

"No. You were right. I just don't want to lose you like I lost your mother," Dad said.

"You won't," I said before giving him a hug.

He hugged me back and for a second, it felt like how it used to be.

Just then, the doorbell rang and we let go.

"That's me," I said.

"Yeah. I'll see you there. Have fun," Dad said, kissing me on the forehead.

"I'll try," I said.

I walked downstairs and took a deep breath before opening the door to Hunter in a tux. He took one look at me and his jaw dropped. He was trying to talk and pointed behind him but no words came out.

"You ok?" I asked.

"I'm...fine," Hunter said, clearing his throat.

"Great," I said, walking out the door.

Hunter closed it behind me and walked with me.

"You look gorgeous," Hunter said.

"You don't look bad yourself," I replied.

"I'm killing it in this tux, right?" Hunter asked.

"You're murdering it," I answered.

Hunter grinned which made me laugh. He opened the car door for me and I stepped through the door to sit down.

Hunter sat down in the driver's seat after closing the door and began whistling.

"Ready for the time of your life?" Hunter asked.

"Ready like your Aunt Freddy," I answered.

"I actually have an aunt named Freddy," Hunter said.

"Really?" I asked.

"No," Hunter said, laughing before starting the ignition.

I huffed at Hunter before we drove away.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Inside was insane. Everyone was dancing. Well, the nerds were sitting on the bleachers.

"Oh my God. I've never seen the gym so live. Not even in PE," I said.

Just then, the song switched to a song I was all to familiar with.

I'm a classic man. Calling on me like a young OG. I'm a classic man.

"Oh shit. This is my song. C'mon. Let's dance," Hunter said, pulling me towards the middle.

"I don't know. I'm not such a good dancer," I said.

"I'll dance with you," Hunter said, already dancing.

He started doing a cross between the stanky leg and twerking and I laughed.

"See. I'm a bad dancer too," Hunter said.

"Alright. But you asked for it," I said.

Then, I immediately start breaking out in a twerking frenzy. I could feel people stare but Hunter was doing something equally ridiculous so it didn't matter.

After the song was over, I heard another of my favorite.

You got a girl. That don't look a thing like me. That girl, your mother always said it be. So, you could say that, you could say that I'm hopeless.

I dance even harder and almost forget everyone's around me.

"You're not that bad," Hunter said.

"Stop lying," I said.

"I'm not. You're a hell of a lot better than me," Hunter said, twirling me around.

"True," I said with a laugh.

"If you think I'm bad, just wait till you see Sammy," Hunter said, dipping me.

"Oh my God," I said, already picturing it.

"Don't look now but Sean the rapist is totally staring," Hunter whispered in my ear.

I took a quick peek and saw that he was right. I just shook it off and whispered back, "I don't care."

"Cool," Hunter said and we went back to dancing.

That was when the lights began to dim and pulsating lights came on. I was now dancing on Hunter and I was absolutely loving every second of it. I know it sounds cliché but it felt like it was only us.

"You want something to drink?" Hunter asked.

I shook my head.

"Ok. I'll be right back," Hunter replied.

Hunter walked off and I continued to dance. Just then, I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. It was Sean.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Just wanted to say you looked particularly fine tonight," Sean answered.

"If I say thanks, will you leave me alone?" I asked.

"You're funny," Sean said, "But seriously, I have a proposition for you."

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"I'm willing to tell everyone the truth. That it was just a drunk misunderstanding gone out of hand and you can go on with your life. If you sleep with me and give me the real thing," Sean said.

"I wouldn't fuck you even if you were the last guy on earth," I said.

"Your choice, slut. Prepare to have your life a living hell," Sean replied, giving me a little wave before walking off.

Just then, Hunter came back.

"What'd he say to you? I swear to God if he-," Hunter said.

I cut him off by holding up my hand.

"Forget about it. It wasn't even that serious," I lied.

"You sure?" Hunter asked.

"Yeah," I answered with a nod.

"Hey, I've got a surprise for you," Hunter said with a mischevious grin.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I have to show you," Hunter answered.

"Now? Cool, I guess," I said with a smile.

Hunter intertwined his fingers with mine and gently pulled me out of the gym.

We were back outside and the sky was full of stars.

"Climb in, little chickadee," Hunter said.

"Where are we going?" I asked, curiosity taking over me.

"You're going to love it," Hunter answered before starting the ignition.

"I'm scared," I said.

"Don't be," Hunter said with a smirk.

And just like that, we were off.