Chapter Thirty- Me And My Isolated Island

I stormed back home, prepared to hear my Dad's mouth.

"Lizbeth! Is that you?" Dad asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"Who are you to just storm out of the house, steal the car, and I just checked the savings account. You took out all the money, didn't you?" Dad asked.

"Just say it already," I said.

"Say what?" Dad asked.

"I told you so. I bailed Hunter out of jail and we broke up. You were right. Are you happy?" I asked, exhausted and tired.

Dad looked at me and his face softened.

"Oh, Lizbeth. I'm so-," Dad said.

"Please save it," I said.

I just walked upstairs and Dad didn't stop me. I was actually quite relieved. I just walked into my room and slammed the door behind me. FSP was asleep. Seeing her just reminded me of him all over again. I was about to get angry when I stopped.

Who the fuck gets angry at an innocent cat?

"I'm sorry, FSP," I said, collapsing on the bed. She stirred before waking up and laying next to me. I hugged her before silently crying.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

The tension was heavy as Dad and I climbed in the car.

It was Wednesday and as much as my Dad was normally against it, I didn't go to school. Instead, we were heading to my Mom's house. We were going earlier than usual.

I didn't care.

I wasn't feeling up to it. But I had to see her. So it was forced.

"Are you sure you don't want to eat something?" Dad asked.

"I said I was fine," I answered.

And here's the cherry on the colossal sundae of my shitty life, I've apparently given up eating. I just didn't have much an appetite anymore.

"Ok. Let's go," Dad said, backing down. I just looked out of the window for the rest of the drive.

About maybe half an hour to forty-five minutes later, we arrived at a two story light yellow house. There was your stereotypical white picket fence and a garden filled with a plethora of flowers.

I whistled as I got out of the car and closed the car door behind me. I walked ahead of Dad and knocked on the door a couple of times.

The door opened a couple of minutes later and I saw a tall and skinny woman who looked Dad's age. She wore jeans and a t-shirt with some type of scarf wrapped around her hair.

"Mom?" I asked.

She almost looked unrecognizable.

"Lizbeth?" Mom asked.

"It's been six years," I answered.

"Yes. You look as beautiful as I imagined. If not, even more. Please come in. Where is your father?" Mom asked.

"He's coming," I answered before walking in.

The inside was honestly quite quaint. There was a long staircase that led to upstairs and there were at least three rooms downstairs: the living room, kitchen, and what looked like a bathroom.

"It looks cool," I answered.

"Just cool?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, I guess," I answered with a small smile.

"Let's go sit in the living room. We'll be much more comfortable in there," Mom said.

I nodded before following Mom into the living room.

I sat on the couch and she took a chair across from me.

"I suppose you want to know why," Mom said.

"That'd be a nice start," I replied.

Mom sighed before saying, "I got very lonely. Your dad wasn't home as much and there were some times where I didn't like being a mom. So I decided to go out there and live life for me. I met someone and things spiraled out of control. That's why you didn't see me as much anymore. I made more time for him rather than my family. That's why I wrote that I left you when you were eleven. I not only physically but mentally left you as well. I wasn't there to help you out. Teach you about life, love, and just how to survive it all. I won't be surprised if you hate me. Hell, I'd actually be a bit happy. I deserve it," Mom said.

I was shocked. For my mom to actually talk to me was a bit unbelievable. I did hate her. But I didn't hate her anymore. I felt sorry for her.

"It wasn't as if I never loved your father. I always did. He was my first. But somewhere along the way, we lost that electric spark. When he got his new job as principal, he was so dedicated that he pushed me behind," Mom said.

"I know all of the sorrys in the world can't change the fact that I what I did was wrong. But I hope you can forgive me. And your father," Mom continued.

"I forgive you," I said with a smile.

Mom smiled back before saying, "Great. As I'm sure you've learned, I have cancer. It got pretty severe. Not even chemotherapy could do much help. My hair fell out so that explains the ridiculous scarf. I don't really like wigs. I know I'm late in telling you but I was scared. Would you care? I was terrified you were going to bail on me last minute and not show up. Eleven months unfortunately does sneak up on a girl. So I want them to last and count, you know?"

"Yes. I do. I want it too. I need something good in my life right about now," I agreed.

"What do you mean?" Mom asked.

I just shook my head before feeling the all too familiar tears come again. I wiped them away and sniffled.

"I've become incredibly good at crying in the last 24 hours," I said with a bitter laugh.

"I know that all too well. Boy troubles?" Mom asked with a sympathetic smile.

"Ugh," I answered.

Mom got up and sat next to me before giving me a supportive hug.

"I don't know what to do. I thought I had done the right thing. But it obviously wasn't cuz it just went back to slap me in the face," I said, crying into her shoulder.

"Tell me exactly what happened," Mom said.

"I was dating this boy who's kind of bad for me. And he got arrested just yesterday for some drug charge. So I bailed him using my college money that Dad had saved up for college. And he didn't like that. He told me I was throwing away my life for him. That he wants me to do better. And I just ended it," I replied.

"But you love him," Mom said.

I nodded.

"It's too late. I... I don't know what to do," I said.

"It's never too late, Lizbeth. I want you to remember that. Like an old familiar saying 'If you love something, set it free. And if it loves you, it'll come back. If he doesn't come back, then maybe your feelings were one sided," Mom replied.

"I hope so. God, I hope they weren't," I said.

"You really shouldn't stress about it. And I know you're probably thinking easier said than done, Mom. But it isn't if you put your mind to it. Sure you'll cry your tears. Trust me. But the strongest people are the ones who put on a brave face and cry later," Mom said.

I just nodded. That's when Dad walked in.

"I just interrupted something," Dad said.

"C'mon over here, Dan. Family hug. Not too hard though," Mom said.

"Anything for you, Amber," Dad said.

He sat down on the opposite side of where Mom was and hugged me on my left.

It felt almost perfect.