Chapter Twenty Nine- Sacrifices

I pulled up into the parking lot of the local jail. I saw Sammy's car so I knew I had arrived at the right place.

I sighed before getting out of the car and locking it back.

I walked inside and looked around for someone I could talk to. I saw a police officer at the front desk so I walked over immediately.

"Is there any way I could see someone?" I asked.

The officer looked at me. I probably looked like a hot mess. I was in baggy sweats with a spaghetti stained t-shirt and my hair was in the messiest bun imaginable.

"Uh. That depends who," The officer answered.

"Hunter Grey. Is he anywhere?" I asked in exasperation.

"His family's over there," The officer said, "Just need to see your ID."

I fished in my pocket for my phone. Then I opened the case and pulled out my school ID.

"You're good to go," The officer said, passing me back my ID.

I gave him a small smile before fast walking towards Cara, Tom, and Sammy. Sammy was the first one to hug me.

I hugged back and I was about to cry.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Hunter was flagged down by the police for driving past the speed limit. They searched his car and found weed. Plus, he was driving without a license. It... it doesn't look too great," Sammy answered.

"But he promised," I said, the room beginning to spin.

I sat down next to a nearly crying Cara to keep my balance.

"If the police find out the weed is his, he could look at some serious jail time. But if it's not, he could serve a lighter sentence," Sammy said.

"Is there any chance of bail?" I asked.

"Yeah. Like at least, $10,000. None of us have that type of money. I don't know what to do," Sammy answered, running her fingers through her hair.

"You've got to be kidding me," I said, feeling the tears about to form.

"I thought Hunter was doing better. I should've seen some sign," Cara said.

I felt like it was part of my fault as well. I knew Hunter was hiding something. I should've been more persistent. We should've hung out longer. If it weren't for me, this probably wouldn't be happening.

I hid my face in my hands before silently sobbing. Sammy sat next to me and hugged me. I leaned onto her shoulder.

"Is there any way we can see him?" I asked.

"We've tried. To no avail. The next time we can see him is during his trial. He already has a reputation and charges before. They were minor charges but nonetheless. I just know the jury won't hesitate to lock him up," Tom said.

"I feel like this is my fault. I asked him what was wrong. But he didn't tell me. I probably should've investigated deeper. But I didn't want to push him away," I said.

"He never told you?" Sammy asked.

"What?" I asked.

"Today is the anniversary of our mother's death," Sammy answered.

My heart sunk even lower than it had been. He never told me. All I knew were the years. Why would he keep it from me?

"Hunter never took it well. He was mommy's favorite. Seeing death at a young age, especially your own mother... it fucks you up. He was only four. Maybe he wanted to get high somewhere to relieve the pain and in the process got caught," Sammy said.