Chapter 1

Autumn's POV

*2009, Draft Day*

"C'mon Autumn! We can't be late!" A very excited Chris yells from the living room. "I'm almost ready, dear Christ! Let me put my shoes on," I yell into the other room.
I honestly can't wait for today. My best friend is being drafted into the NHL. He is clearly so excited. Although we aren't dating, I'm his "date" today because he claims:
"I couldn't have been able to do you this without your support, Autumn," Chris leans over and whispers in my ear at dinner. As soon as we found out he was going to be drafted, we (meaning both our families) decided to throw him a party.
"Nonsense, Kreids. You've worked so hard for this and I've only been backing you in whatever you choose to do," I tell him, again in a whisper. But neither of our families noticed............
I'm snapped out of my flashback by Chris throwing me my jacket and being hit in the face with it.
"Come on dummy," he says laughing. I roll my eyes and stand up and start walking to the door.
I'm stopped by Chris wrapping his arms around my waist and just holding me there with him. His massive 6-foot-3 stature towering over my tiny 5-foot stature.
"I'm nervous," Chris leans down and mutters, barely coherently into my ear. I pull back from the hug and tell him, "You'll be fine, Kreids. Let's go get you drafted," I say, giggling as I grab him by the wrist and "drag" him toward the door. He laughs and walks with me.
*2009, Draft Selection*
"As our 19th pick in the first round, the New York Rangers select......Chris Kreider, Left Wing, of Boston College," I hear the GM for the New York Rangers announce.
Chris stands up, as I do with him, and hugs me. I look up at him with tears in my eyes as he hugs the rest of his family. I push him toward the stage, playfully of course.
My best friend was just drafted.
I was elated.