Chapter 20

Autumn's POV

Chris is acting strange today. It's my birthday and he has never really forgotten. He hasn't said anything to me today regarding it and I'm somewhat surprised but I haven't asked about anything. 

At around 3pm, he calls me and asks me to get ready to go out. He didn't say where or give me details. 

I quickly pull a grey and white plaid tie shirt out of my closet and put that on. I do the 'skinny jean dance' with a pair of black skinny jeans. I put on some red suspenders, A.K.A. my favorite accessory EVER and a black leather cord necklace with a key charm dangling from it. I tug on a pair of combat boots that fold over to reveal a red and blue plaid pattern. (A/N BROWNIE POINTS IF YOU KNOW WHAT MOVIE THIS OUTFIT DRAWS INSPIRATION FROM) 

I do a little more makeup than I usually do, applying foundation, doing some contouring, doing my regular eye makeup and finishing off with my No. 311 lipstick from Clé de Peau, a hot red color if you have never heard of it.

I curl my hair and spray Gold Dust Shimmer finishing spray by Joico at my ends, giving the 'galaxy' in my hair a little extra lustre and radiance. 

I text my loving boyfriend around 4:30pm and tell him that I am ready for whatever he is going to do, again disappointed that he hasn't acknowledged my birthday but not letting it get the better of me because I know that he has a lot on his mind with the offseason and worrying who is staying on the team and who he has to say goodbye to. It's difficult.

About 45 minutes later, he gets back to the house and picks me up, not mentioning where we are going. He is wearing his signature black dress pants and a black dress shirt, looking very dapper. After another 45 minute drive, we finally arrive to an area that is surrounded in trees, very similar to the way Forest Park is surrounded in forest-like trees.

As we step out of the car, he places a red bandana over my eyes, acting as a blindfold. 

After a few minutes of walking, he removes the blindfold.

I look around in awe at our date-site. It's on a little grassy area surrounded by short trees that have lanterns hanging from different branches with a few scattered around on the ground. There is a table with a white table cloth, two black chairs with red cushions and a lantern on the table, along with silverware. There is also a small bonfire not too far from the table and a porch swing on the opposite side, which I quickly recognize from Chris's grandparents' house. 

"Happy birthday, Autumn. I love you." He says, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Chris, thank you babe. I love you too, this is beautiful." I say, turning in his arms and placing a short but sweet kiss on his lips.

He leads me to the table, pulling out my chair for me. 

"How long did it take you to set this up?" I ask him, still looking around.

"This is where I was all day, sweetheart." He says, laughing. 

Chris asks me if I'm ready to eat, which I nod and he rings a bell. I see a certain Kevin Hayes emerging from behind the trees, holding one tray of food, with a certain Cam Talbot following him with a few bottles of soda. Chris has taken into account that I don't drink, that's so sweet of him.

After being served by his teammates, they disappear back to the little grotto where they had been waiting.

"Did you force them to do this?" I ask Chris, chuckling. He nods, letting a few chuckles escape his lips.

We dine and talk for a little less than an hour. 

Kevin comes back out and retrieves our plates and silverwear, replacing them with clean ones of the same sort. 

Cam comes out with a large cake that has 24 candles on it. I have a feeling that one of them is a trick candle, like the ones that don't blow out.

The three boys start to sing Happy Birthday to me and I feel myself blushing almost as red as a beet. As soon as they finish the song, Chris kisses me deeply, and the other two boys start cat calling us.

I pull away first as Cam hands me the large knife to cut the cake.

Chris kisses me again and Kevin whistles. I pull away again and turn to face Mr. Hayes.

"Don't make me have to cut you." I say, waving the knife around. He looks horrified as I start laughing, telling him that I was kidding. 

"Sanders, just cut the damn cake, you can behead Hayes later. I want a piece." Cam says, guiding my hand to cut the cake.

I laugh and cut the cake into pieces and hand them out to the guys. 

Chris and I take a seat on the porch swing as Cam and Kevin pull over the chairs from the table and bringing us our drinks. They also turn on some music while they are up.

We just talk about random stuff and just hanging out for another few hours before we start to get tired.

"Thank you boys for doing this," I say, giving both Cam and Kevin a hug.

"Guys, meet back here tomorrow so we can take this apart?" Chris asks them, to which they nod.

We all go our separate ways and climb into our own cars. 

After a few minutes into the drive, I start to fall asleep.

I feel the car come to a stop and hear my door open. I'm scooped up into Chris's arms and he carries me into the house and I start waking up.

He brings me into our room and places me on the bed. He turns to grab something for me to change into. 

I take the clothes from him and change and climb under the covers and feel myself begin to fall back asleep.

A few minutes later, Chris joins me and kisses the top of my head.

"Goodnight babygirl, happy birthday." He whispers into my ear before I fall asleep.

A/N Hey guys! Sorry about the delay, there was a lot going on but I'm back now! I hope you enjoyed the chapter and please leave your feedback in the form of votes or comments or both and comment down below if you caught the outfit reference, extra brownie points are on the table hahaha. I'll see you guys next time. Byeeee

HINT: THE MOVIE THAT THE OUTFIT REFERENCES IS MENTIONED IN A DIFFERENT STORY OF MINE!