Chapter 4 Bus Ride Gets a Strike

.

.

.

.

I waited for the other three with Chiron and Argus on Half-Blood hill. Why was I the first one ready? Annoyed, I toyed with the dagger I had hidden in my hoodie sleeve. Got the idea from a game Travis mentioned, Assassin’s Creed or something. 

Argus was the head of camp’s security, he was dressed like a surfer dude, and you would think he was if it wasn't for the many eyes on him. Today however he was wearing a chauffeur's uniform.

Getting tired of the dagger I started to pick dirt from under my nails with my nail file, I usually had it on me. Eleanor had insisted I take a bottle of nail polish when she noticed I took a bottle of nail paint.

Looking up when I hear people coming up the hill I see the three, Percy, Grover and Annabeth. If I could I would make a smug comment to Annabeth. Her siblings are always going on about how it takes my siblings and I forever to get ready.

Once they got close Chiron introduced Argus to Percy and told him that Argus would drive us into the city.

As I was about to walk down the hill and get into the white SUV I heard footsteps coming up the hill and looked back to see Luke.Luke was weird to me. I mean yeah he seemed like a great guy, but after his mission seemed a bit off. Especially after the last solstice, he just started to seem… less of how he was if that made sense.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you."

I rolled my eyes, why was he acting like he had trouble? He was the fastest demigod here at camp. Annabeth blushed, the way she always did when Luke was around. It wasn't that hard for myself or my siblings to figure out she had a crush on him.

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke told Percy. "And I thought… um, maybe you could use these."

He handed Percy the sneakers, which looked pretty normal. Well normal for your typical running shoes.

Luke said, "Maia!"

White bird’s wings sprouted out of the heels, startling Percy so much, he dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!" Grover said.

Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don’t use them much these days…" His expression turned sad.

I could tell Percy didn’t know what to say. Judging by his blush he didn't really receive gifts that often from people. Personally I didn’t know why he was blushing getting the shoes, appearance aside, he’d be going into the air and… well it’s an obvious problem.

“Hey, man,” Percy said. “Thanks.”

“Listen, Percy…” Luke looked uncomfortable. “A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just… kill some monsters for me, okay?”

The two shook hands. Luke patted Grover’s head between his horns, then gave a goodbye hug to Annabeth, who looked like she might pass out. He stared at me and grinned, “Don’t break a nail.” and I gave him an ‘I’ll stab you.’ look. Try me and I’ll break my nail underneath your eyelid.

After Luke was gone, Percy told Annabeth, "You’re hyperventilating."

"Am not." She says quickly trying to compose herself.

"You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn’t you?"

"Oh… why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?"