Chapter 2 (31) Vice-Principal Takes A Tumble

Y/n POV

After a bit of looking around I realizes something and grabbed Grover.

'Smell for Percy.' I sign to him and he nods.

We follow Grover as he leads us out of a door at the opposite end of the gym.

The door lead into a dark hallway. We ran down the corridor and went through a door finding ourselves back at the entry hall.

Grover sniffed the air for a moment before nodding in one direction. Thalia, Annabeth and I found ourselves following Grover outside and into the woods.

Taking a snowy path dimly lit by old fashioned lamplights, it may look quite beautiful in the fall.

Snapping from my thoughts I heard noises up ahead like people talking. I recognised the voice of Percy.

We saw them standing in a clearing across from Dr Thorn. Annabeth put on her invisible cap and vanished. I looked at Thalia as she got the her spear and sheild ready.

She uses a huge spear that expands from this collapsible Mace canister she carries in her pocket, but that’s not the scary part. Her shield is modelled on one her dad Zeus uses – also called Aegis – a gift from Athena. The shield has the head of the gorgon Medusa moulded into the bronze, and even though it won’t turn you to stone it’s so horrible most people will panic and run at the sight of it.

We waited for a moment. Thorn looked like he was about to attack the three when suddenly the three got ploughed straight to the groud, persumedly by Annabeth, and the volley that was fired by Thorn sailed right over their heads.

Thalia took this as her chance and charged into battle. Thorn winced when he saw her sheild.

She moved in with her spear, "For Zeus!"

Thalia jabbed at his head, but he snarled and swatted the spear aside. His hand changed into an orange paw with enormous claws that sparked against Thalia's sheild. Ff it hadn't been for Aegis, Thalia would've been sliced like a loaf of bread. As it was, she managed to roll backwards and land on her feet.

As Thalia did that I threw three throwing knifes at Thorn and they landed in the paw that took a swiped at Thalia. He growled and fired spikes in my direcition, and they landed above my head in the tree.

Thorn then launched a volley of missles at Thalia, and this time I saw his leathery scorpion like tail that had spikes at the tip. The spikes deflected off of Aegis, but the force knocked Thalia down.

Grover sprang forward playing his reed pipes. Grass broke through the snow. Within seconds, rope-thick weeds were wrapping round Thorn's legs entangling him.

Taking this chance as he was occupied with the weeds I threw two throwing knives at his tail. One only scratches it, while the other embeds itself into the middle of it. Thorn howls in pain

Thorn roared and began to change. He grew larger until he was in his true form. His face waas still human, but his body was that of a huge lion. His leathery, spikey tail had my knife in the middle of it limiting the directions he could throw the spikes, mainly not directly infront of him unless he mortar shot them.

"A manticore!" Annabeth said.

I came out and made my way beside Thalia with my dagger and more throwing knives in my other hand.

"Who are you people?" Bianca di Angelo demanded. "And what is that?"

"A manticore?" Nico gasped. "He’s got three thousand attack power and plus five to saving throws!"

I didn’t know what he was talking about, but I didn’t have time to worry about it. The manticore clawed Grover’s magic weeds to shreds then turned towards us with a snarl.