Chapter 18 (47) A Goddess Thanks Me

Y/n POV

Opening my eyes I see the most beautiful electric orbs I have ever seen. Reaching up I touch her cheek, it was soft and warm. Warm like always. I smiled as I stared at Thalia.

"Are you feeling okay bunny?" Thalia asked me snapping me from my love struck thoughts.

I nod and she then smiles, "Can you stand?"

She offers me a hand up and I grab it and she helps me stand up. I sway a little and use her to steady myself.

"Y/n." A voice says gaining my attention and I look up to see Artemis, but thats not the only person there.

Zoë, Percy, Annabeth, Bianca, and a guy I recogise as Annabeth's dad. I look around as I still have a grip on Thalia's arm with my left hand to make sure I don't fall.

That's when the memories of all that's happened the past day or few days? I wasn't sure of the time frame.

"I thank you for resisting your lust." Artemis told me and I nodded, "It is thanks to that Zoë  still lives."

Looking at my right side I see my arm is still broken... that's when the pain decided to remind me it exsisted and I winced.

Though my arm was wrapped and binded. My chest was wrapped too. I looked down greatful to whoever did it, it made the wounds more bearable.

Managing to raise my hands I sign without thinking, 'Can't get you two together if one's dead.'

Artemis saw what I signed, but thankfully Zoë didn't. Artemis had an unreadable look on her face as she stared at me for a moment, and I hid behind Thalia.

"I must go to Olympus immediately." Artemis said. "I will not be able to take you, but I will send help."

The goddess set her hand on Annabeth’s shoulder. "You are brave beyond measure, my girl. You will do what is right."

Then she looked quizzically at Thalia, as if she weren’t sure what to make of this younger daughter of Zeus. Thalia seemed reluctant to look up, but something made her, and she held the goddess’s eyes. I wasn’t sure what passed between them, but Artemis’s gaze softened with sympathy. Then she turned to Percy.

"You did well," she said. "For a man."

She mounted her chariot, which began to glow. We averted our eyes. There was a flash of silver, and the goddess was gone.

"Well," Dr Chase sighed. "She was impressive, though I must say I still prefer Athena."

Annabeth turned towards him. "Dad, I… I’m sorry that –"

"Shh." He hugged her. "Do what you must, my dear. I know this isn’t easy for you."

His voice was a little shaky, but he gave Annabeth a brave smile. This is what a fathers love was suppose to be... wish I could have expirenced it.

Then I heard the whoosh of large wings. Three pegasi descended through the fog: two white winged horses and one pure black one, and most importantly Aimée!

"Blackjack!" Percy called.

Percy started talking to Blackjack as I hugged Aimée, who nudged her head against me. From behind me I heard Dr Chase say wow.

"That's a hippogriff." Dr Chase said staring at Aimée.

"Y/n named her Aimée." Thalia said for me and he nodded.

"Can I touch her?" He asked and I looked at Aimée who nodded after a moment and I did the same.

He pet Aimée, who let him. I still leaned against Thalia since my left leg didn't feel the best when I put pressure on it.

"Are you sure you're good bunny?" Thalia ask me worried.

'My left leg feels bad, probably bruised.' I sign, and she nods.

After getting done petting Aimée the professor stared open mouthed at the pegasi.

"Fascinating," he said. "Such manoeuvrability! How does the wingspan compensate for the weight of the horse’s body, I wonder?"

"Why, if the British had had these pegasi in the cavalry charges in the Crimea," Dr Chase said, "the charge of the Light Brigade –"

"Dad!' Annabeth interrupted.

Dr Chase blinked. He looked at his daughter and managed a smile. "I’m sorry, my dear. I know you must go."

He gave her one last awkward, well-meaning hug. As she turned to climb aboard the pegasus Guido, Dr Chase called, "Annabeth. I know… I know San Francisco is adangerous place for you. But please remember you always have a home with us. We will keep you safe."

Annabeth didn’t answer, but her eyes were red as she turned away. Dr Chase started to say more, then apparently thought better of it. He raised his hand in sad farewell and trudged away across the dark field.

Thalia helped me get on Aimée since my leg was hurt and I gave her a hand up too. Zoë and Bianca got on one of the Pegasus while Percy and Annabeth mounted seperate ones.

Thalia was behind me with her arms wrapped around my waist and her head leaning on my shoulder. It was nice, but her warm breath against my ear sent shivers down my spine.

Together we soared over the bay and flew towards the eastern hills. Soon San Francisco was only a glittering crescent behind us, with an occasional flicker of lightning in the north.

Thalia must have been exhausted because she fell asleep while we rode Aimée across the sky. She wrapped her arms around my waist tight before she did though. She didn't have much to worry about though since Aimée flew with ease and I served as a anchor making sure she didn't fall off.

The flight was honestly nice after what just happened, would be better if the dull pain in my side wasn't there. I also noticed Bianca looking at me guiltily for some reason.

Annabeth and Percy flew side by side talking about something I didn't really care to listen too.

The towns were zipping by faster now, islands of light thicker together, until the whole landscape below was a glittering carpet. Dawn was close. The eastern sky was turning grey. And, up ahead, a huge white-and-yellow glow spread out before us – the lights of New York.

While we flew my mind drifted to one thing, what was that trance I got in on mount Orthys? All I cared about was spilling blood, like some bloodlusted beserker. Almost like the warrior I saw in my dream last year.

Though my dagger got snapped and I didn't have a weapon now, so was it really of concern?

"There it is." Thalia’s voice; she’d woken up. She was pointing towards Manhattan, which was quickly zooming into view. "It’s started."

"What’s started?" Percy asked.

Then I looked where she was pointing. High above the Empire State Building, Olympus was its own island of light, a floating mountain ablaze with torches and braziers, white marble palaces gleaming in the early morning air.

"The winter solstice," Thalia said. "The Council of the Gods."