Chapter 11 (40) Swines Were Never a Friend

Y/n POV

We’d arrived on the outskirts of a little ski town nestled in the mountains. The sign said WELCOME TO CLOUDCROFT, NEW MEXICO. The air was cold and thin. The roofs of the cabins were heaped with snow, and dirty mounds of it were piled up on the sides of the streets. Tall pine trees loomed over the valley, casting pitch-black shadows, though the morning was sunny.

Even with my daughter of Zeus heater I was freezing, and might I add Main Street was half a mile from the train tracks. As we walked I saw Percy telling Grover something about a conversation with Apollo.

That must be who the magic homeless man was. I thought as I stayed close to Thalia's side.

"Y/n why are you so close to Thalia?" Bianca ask me.

'She's warm, and I deem her my heater.' I sign to her then quickly put my hands back in my pockets.

Bianca didn't know sign language, though Zoë did and luckily for Bianca she was paying attention.

"He signed 'She is warm, and he deems her his heater.'" Zoë translated for Bianca who nodded.

"So I'm a heater now?" Thalia ask and I nod and hug her, so warm.

Thalia being the strong person she is, also taller than me. Just continued walking as she picked me up not even breaking her stride.
(I know I said equal height before, but you're shorter than her)

'I am smoll' I signed accepting my fate.

We stopped in the middle of town. You could pretty much see everything from there: a school, a bunch of tourist stores and cafés, some ski cabins, and a grocery store.

"Great," Thalia said, looking around. "No bus station. No taxis. No car rental. No way out."

"There’s a coffee shop!" said Grover and I nodded.

"Yes," Zoë said. "Coffee is good."

"And pastries," Grover said dreamily. "And wax paper."

Thalia sighed. "Fine. How about you two go get us some food. Percy, Bianca and I will check in the grocery store. Maybe they can give us directions."

'What about me?' I sign in question looking up at her.

"You go with Grover and Zoë." Thalia tells me and I nod as she puts me down.

We agreed to meet back in front of the grocery store in fifteen minutes. Bianca looked a little uncomfortable coming with them, but she did.

I lead the way into the coffee shop. Entering it I saw it was suprisingly empty, guess all the early risers got their coffee already, and made my way to the counter where a barista with long blonde hair was.

I waved at her and begun to sign what I wanted only to stop halfway through noticing that she wasn't following along.

Pushing Zoë up to the counter I stand behind her letting her take over.

"Is he mute?" The barista ask.

"Yes." Zoë says then begins to order some things.

While she was doing that Grover decided to strike up a conversation.

"So Y/n." Grover starts, "You feeling alright?"

I look at him and nod, 'It's a little cold, but that's just an excuse to cuddle up to Thalia.'

"You really like her don't you?" Grover ask with a smile.

'Yeah, I know I love her.' I sign.

"You gonna confess?" Grover ask.