25. Killing Baratheons

'From this time till the end of time we are not part of your realm we are free and independent kingdom of the north.' Cersei ripped up the letter, the peace treaty. 'He has more spirit than his father I will give him that.' she remarked

'You have become quite effective at tearing up papers.' Tyrion remarked 'we can give him his fathers bones back at least a gesture of good faith.'

'Will you give the Starks our reply cousin?' Cersei asked

'I will your Grace.' Alton Lannister replied

'Did you see my brother? When you were the Starks guest?' cersei added

'I did.' Alton admitted 'they have not broken his spirit your grace.'

'If you speak with him... Tell him he has not been forgotten.' Cersei told her cousin.

'I will your grace.'

'Safe travels cousin.' Tyrion added 'do you have a death plan with diplomacy?'

'If that's everything?' cersei said

'A raven flew in this morning from Castle Black.' the maester said

'Trouble with the wildlings.' varys said

'That's why they're called wildlings.' Petyr remarked

'Some of the wildlings it seems have stopped killing each other and started following this king beyond the wall.' varys added

'Another King.' Cersei remarked 'how many is that now? Five? I've lost count.'

'Lord Commander asked that we send more men.' Tyrion read off the note 'to man the wall.'

'Perhaps he forgot we were fighting a war and we have no men to spare.' Cersei told him

'Cold winds are rising and the dead rise with them.' Tyrion went on

'Northerners are superstitious people,' the high maester said

'According the Lord Commander these dead men attacked one of their camps. Mormont does not lie.'

'How do you kill a dead man?' Varys questioned

'Apparently you burn them.' Tyrion said reading through the note again.

'One trip to the wall and you come back believing in grumpkins and snarks?' Cersei teased.

'I don't know what I believe.' Tyrion told her 'here's a fact for you though the nights watch is the only thing that separates us from what lies beyond the wall.'

'I have every confidence that the man of the nights watch will protect us all.' Cersei said leaving Tyrion.

++++++

'I'm worried Tyrion.' Fia admitted.

'About what my love?'

"They are killing Baratheon's.' Fia reminded him. 'My remaining brothers are in an open rebellion for the throne...'

'But you don't want the throne, right? So there is nothing to worry about...' Tyrion told her as she wrapped a shaky hand around his waist. Tyrion held her to him. 'Once this is all over, this war, we will be married.' Tyrion told her. 'Just with everything-'

'I understand.' Fia told him. 'I'm just worried.'

'Don't be. I will protect you as I always have.' Tyrion assured. 'Today I'm actually setting up a plan to find out who I can trust at the capitol.' Tyrion informed her. 'Just lay low... I will have Bronn keep an eye on you, alright? Would that make you feel better?' She gave a small nod into his chest.

++++

'Thank the gods I haven't had a proper shit in six days' Tyrion said taking the vial from Pycelle

'Have you encountered this problem before my Lord?' Lord Pycelle asked 'positions of power often have this effect. Two drops with water a day.'

'I'm so grateful to have a man of your knowledge with this quick wisdom on our side, on my side.' Tyrion told him.

'Thank you my Lord.'

'I can trust you Pycelle can I not?' Tyrion asked.

'Of course my Lord'

'The crown is in the need to form new alliances and these alliances must often be sealed in matrimony.' Tyrion told him.

'Matrimony yes' pycelle agreed.

'I are trusting the council with this plan but the queen mustn't know, you can't tell her.' Tyrion informed him. 'Meddling in affairs that could destroy the realm there's too much at stake.'

'oh yes yes I shall be silent as the grave.' Pycelle assured.

'I'm brokering an alliance with house Myrtell,' Tyrion informed him.

'out in Dorne?' Pycelle questioned.

'princess Marcella will marry their youngest son when she comes of age,' Tyrion said pouring glass of wine. 'Ensuring their army and their loyalty.' Tyrion added.

'Marcella to be sent away to Dorne?'

+

'But remember the queen must never know' Tyrion added.

'Oh the queen mustn't know what?' Varys questioned happily taking the wine from Tyrion. Tyrion was playing a game he was trying to see who he could trust on his council.

'I plan to marry princess Marcella off to the Greyjoys,' Tyrion told him 'to Theon Greyjoy'

'Theon Greyjoy... Forgive me my Lord but how he grew up a ward of Winterfell, he fights for Robb Stark.' Varys reminded him.

'His fathers Lord Greyjoy loathes the starks and will convince the boy to come to our side. Greyjoy can destroy the northern army from within and we can have his father ships but remember you must tell no one.'

+

'Tell no one what?' Petyr questioned

'I plan to wed princess Marcella to Robin Arryn of the veil. Lysa is not fond me but perhaps the promise of a royal match will convince her to let bygones be bygones.' Tyrion told petyr.

'She imprisoned you, she tried to execute you.' Petyr reminded him 'and you offer her a princess?'

'A man in our position holding grudges can be an encumbrance don't you think?' Tyrion asked.

'And I suppose you want me to broker this agreement?' Petyr questioned 'yes I could sing this song to Lysa if I care too... What's in it for me?'

'The gratitude of the people, helping in this war, admiration of the King for bringing the Veil back into the fold... And Harrenhal.' Tyrion told him.

' Harrenhal is cursed' petyr told him.

'I didn't take you for a superstitious man but by all means tear it down and build another. You'll be able to afford it.' Tyrion told him 'I plan to make you Lord of the Riverlands.'

'with a single stroke you would make me one of the greatest lords in the realm?' Petyr questioned incredulously.

'You have served my family well in the matter of this succession.' Tyrion reminded him.

'So did the last man you slaughtered, you sent him away, and snatched his title away.' Petyr reminded him.

'Yes pity, but he was an incompetent fool.' Tyrion remarked. 'I need you to convince Lysa Arryn' Tyrion told him. The three men had left to ponder their deals, now all he had to do was wait to see which one spilled his secrets.