Seventeen: Break On Through.

The next morning, Ric was lying inside a machine, and it whirled softly...

Ellie and Meredith stood behind the glass.

"What are you looking for?" Ellie asked.

"I don't know. A tumour. Vascular anomalies. Anything physical that might explain his behaviour? If it's medical, I can treat it."

"And if it's not?" Asked Ellie.

"Well, then we'll deal with that too."

Ric's body was slid into the machine by a doctor. In the mirror, his gaze was fixed on his eyes.

"When did you suspect him? That it was Alaric who was killing all of those people?" Ellie asked, looking over at her.

"It was after he told me about his ring. I remembered the story... my grandmother told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal. I don't know if you know this, but we Fells are notorious busybodies."

"But I don't understand. If you suspected him... why did you protect him?" Ellie asked, looking confused.

"Two things. I'm a doctor. I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over. And you and Elena have lost enough family."

"Look, I think I need to apologise to you. You know, breaking into your apartment... that was wrong. So, I'm sorry. And thank you for dropping the charges." Ellie says.

Meredith shook her head.

"Hey, if I were in your shoes... I'd find you dodgy. I kind of wanna help him, that's all."

Ellie smiled at her, then looked through the window at Ric.

He stayed still and looked at himself in the mirror.

He blinks a few times.

He then looked at himself in the mirror, and he smirked.

He looked away and started breathing heavily. He started panicking.

He looked back in the mirror, noticing it wasn't copying him anymore.

"Ric! Ric, everything okay in there?" Ellie asked.

Ric heard Ellie's voice come through the speakers. He closed his eyes.

"Yeah. Everything's okay."