⚡️ Chapter 32 ⚡️

Vega packed up her bookbag as the students began to file out of the classroom, and she noticed Professor Umbridge approaching the teacher's desk. She immediately nudged Harry, who nudged Ron, who nudged Hermione in turn, and the four of them deliberately fell back to eavesdrop on the conversation by pretending to slowly pack their stuff up.

"How long have you been teaching at Hogwarts?" Professor Umbridge was questioning Professor McGonagall now.

"Thirty-nine years this December," Professor McGonagall responded brusquely, snapping her bag shut and Professor Umbridge made a note.

"Very well," Umbridge said. "You will receive the results of your inspection in ten days' time,"

"I can hardly wait," Professor McGonagall said in a coldly indifferent voice, and she strode off toward the door. "Hurry up, you four," She added, sweeping Vega, Harry, Ron, and Hermione before her.

Before leaving the class, Vega gave Professor McGonagall a weak smile but she was pleasantly surprised when Professor McGonagall returned one – or had she been imagining that? Vega could swear that her Head of House had actually smiled.

It felt good to see Professor Umbridge being put into her place and not allowed to walk over anyone. Vega had thought that the next time she would see Umbridge would be in her detention that evening, but she was quite wrong about that.

When they walked down the lawns toward the forest for Care of Magical Creatures, they found her and her clipboard waiting for them beside Professor Grubbly-Plank. Vega was starting to feel agitated by the woman's constant appearance.

"You do not usually take this class, is that correct?"

Umbridge was already interrogating Professor Grubbly-Plank, and Vega shared a look with her friends as they arrived at the trestle table where the group of captive bowtruckles were scrambling around for wood lice like so many living twigs.

"Quite correct," Professor Grubbly-Plank said, hands behind her back and bouncing on the balls of her feet. "I am a substitute teacher standing in for Professor Hagrid,"

Malfoy was whispering with Crabbe and Goyle; he would surely love this opportunity to tell tales on Hagrid to a member of the Ministry. Vega exchanged uneasy looks with Harry, Ron and Hermione – the last thing they wanted was more problem for Hagrid.

Hagrid had been imprisoned in their second-year,

and his giant blood was exposed in their fourth.Vega didn't want him to have any more trouble.

"Hmm," Professor Umbridge said, dropping her voice, though Vega could still hear her quite clearly. "I wonder – the headmaster seems strangely reluctant to give me any information on the matter – can you tell me what is causing Professor Hagrid's very extended leave of absence?"

On the mention of that, Vega caught sight of Malfoy looking up eagerly.

"'Fraid I can't," Professor Grubbly-Plank replied breezily. "Don't know anything more about it than you do. Got an owl from Dumbledore, would I like a couple of weeks teaching work, accepted – that's as much as I know. Well... shall I get started then?"

"Yes, please do," Professor Umbridge said, scribbling upon her clipboard.

Umbridge took a different tack in this class and wandered among the students, questioning them on magical creatures. Most people were able to answer well and Vega was relieved to see that at least the class wasn't letting Hagrid down.