forty seven

Obi-Wan sat on his knees, on the floor, toward the front of the cargo ship. He was desperately trying to meditate through his emotions and the newfound revelation that Anakin was alive.

"Master Qui-Gon," Obi-Wan whispered to himself, trying to reach out to his former Master. "Master... Are you there, Master?"

"You didn't know," the Third Sister's voice rang out in his head. "He's alive, Obi-Wan."

"Only pain will you find," Yoda's voice was next.

"Obi-Wan..."

"Obi-Wan, promise me you will train the boy," then it was Qui-Gon's last desperate plea.

Your voice about broke him completely. "By helping Ani, you are helping me, Obi." He wished that that had truly been so.

"If you are not with me, then you're my enemy," Anakin's voice was harsh in his head as Obi-Wan wrung his hands together. "Don't make me kill you. I do not fear the dark side. I see through the lies of the Jedi."

"Help me, Master Qui-Gon," Obi-Wan begged quietly. "Give me strength."

"Anakin Skywalker is alive," the Third Sister's voice taunted. Obi-Wan's eyes finally opened. "And he's been looking for you for a long time."

Obi-Wan could feel Vader through the Force. "He's coming, Master."

After realizing that he would truly not get aware through meditating right now, Obi-Wan moved back to wear Leia was. He took her droid, Lola, found some tools, and began to fix the little droid up. As he did so, he had a hard time not imagining Anakin excitedly doing the same thing for the girl.

"Are we almost there?" Leia asked. "Can't you make this thing go any faster?"

"It's a trade route, Leia," Obi-Wan responded exasperatedly. "I'm not in control of it."

"Can't you use the Force on it or something?"

"That's not how it works."

"How does it work? The Force. What does it feel like?"

Obi-Wan thought for a moment, trying to figure out how to explain it in simple terms. He turned back to look at her. "Have you ever been afraid of the dark?" Leia nodded. "How does it feel when you turn on the light?"

"I feel safe."

"Yes, it feels like that." He nodded as he held out his hand and gave the girl back her droid.

"Lola!" She excitedly took the droid from him. "You fixed her." She pressed the button that turned the droid one. "Thank you."

Obi-Wan gave her a small smile, one that didn't meet the eyes. He stared at the droid and wished that Anakin could have been the one to fix it for Leia. The one to make his daughter happy. Leia's eyes caught a glimpse of the chain and ring that slipped out of Obi-Wan's robes.

"What's that?" Leia asked, pointing at the ring.

Obi-Wan looked down. He quickly grabbed the ring and stuffed it into his robes so that it rested against his chest. "Nothing," he replied.

"It's a ring. Whose ring is it?"

"It's mine."

"Why do you have it?"

Obi-Wan sighed. He went to respond when the ship beeped and rumbled. "We better get ready," he said, standing. "We're on approach."

Obi-Wan watched out of the window as the ship landed them on the top of a flat cliff. He could see that there were only droids in charge of unloading the cargo. He was grateful for that but knew that they still needed to be careful. Keeping Leia close to his side, Obi-Wan led her away from the cargo ship, down the cliff, and onto one of the trails. He followed the coordinates that Haja had given them.