46

"How was work?", Eren asked as he stretched out on the sofa, setting the book in his hands down. "Everyone misses you, you know?", I sat at the end of the sofa he was laying down on and he rested his legs on me. The afternoon sun behind the window lit the room a rich yellow.

"Opening crew doesn't even know me", he chuckled.

His eyes fell slightly, "I can't go back- what am I gonna say? Sorry I disappeared for 3 months I was depressed?", he rubbed his face, the look in his eyes was disappointment.

With himself.

"Just tell Hange the truth", my tone soft, "She's not gonna understand", he shook his head, "You might be surprised what she'll understand", I raised my brows and left the sofa.

His eyes were widened with the little hope he had left.

"She's waiting for you", I looked back at him as I entered my bedroom. He left the sofa and put his shoes on quickly, I leaned on the door frame as I watched him fix himself up.

"How you just- do that?", he stood in front of me, "Do what?", I leaned my head back on the wall. "Just bring stillness to my chaos", he shook his head, his eyes gazing into mine. "It's almost like I love you", I raised my brows slightly, he smiled and kissed me before he made his way out.

"Love you!", he shouted, "Good luck!", I smiled as the door shut, his running steps heard from the hall.

Eren's POV:

I darted to my car, hoping to escape the cold air.

Just as I started the engine, my phone began to ring. It was Spencer's dad. Anxiety washed over me, like hot water on a summer day.

I answered the call, "Michael?", I breathed, my eyes wide with anticipation, "Hey son, I got a favor to ask you", his voice brought me to relief.

"Sure", the line was quiet a moment, "I need a ride to my chemo appointment- they um...wont let me drive now-*cough*....it's an aggressive treatment", I shut my eyes and my head fell.

Was this what was happening? Was I being torn apart from the inside? Why was the universe pushing us further apart? Why is it making me choose? What if I don't want to make that choice yet? Why weren't her stars aligning with mine?

"Yeah- I'll be there soon", I sighed, rubbing the sides of my head as if it would relieve the pressure of my thoughts.

He walked to my car slowly, as if he were stepping on pins and needles.

"Thanks a lot kid", he closed the door, I hadn't seen him since last week but he was a completely different person. His skin was now a dull white, as if the chemo were sucking the little life he had left inside him till it was completely satisfied. His eyes no longer had light, they were now clouded with a sense of death, bringing nothing but defeat to its desperate opponents.

"Are you feeling alright?", I asked as I drove, "Yeah- it's just kicking in now", he struggled to get a few words out without coughing. "Maybe you should be staying at the hospital", I suggested softly.

"No, no I'm good, it's just the worst part of the treatment right now", he refused to believe he was getting worse. I shook my head, "You need to be at the hospital, you can barley speak without coughing".

"No I don't!", that was the first time I heard him yell, I stayed quiet, "I'm the only one you have right now", I paused for a moment, "So let me help you". His eyes fell, defeat in his eyes as he accepted that he was sick.

"Fine", he refused to look at me, "You're sick, I know it sucks and I know you don't want to be sick but you're sick, and if you wanna get better you need to understand that".